divemedic

HOW TO BEGIN CREDIT REPAIR - A PRIMER

I'm still leary about being confronted by my pass credit problems but I do want to have a fresh start. I am trying to get back on the right track so that makes this process so much more important. I've never tried disbuting everything negative on my credit report. How well does that really work when you have credit issue that you know were your own fault. What kind of creditor's response will I be getting? The yearly free credit report is fantastic. I do want ALL the negative taken off, is there anything that wouldn't serve a purpose of having remove because it won't be taken off. What are the smallest thing that I wouldn't want to dispute or I should dispute?

Great topic!

My question is about the initial dispute. If I call up the CRA on the phone and play dumb, do I go ahead and act like I don't remember doing business with any of the seven negative TLs on the same phone call, or do I make several phone calls to launch multiple investigations?

Would it be a better technique to make one call to Equifax and dispute a couple, one call to TU and dispute a couple, then dispute the remainder with online Experian?

How often do the disputes pop back up on your credit report a couple months later?

Hello I am getting ready to dispute!! I am tight on how to dispute the cra s but I have a flow chart that says to also dispute the collection agenies, only three in my long list of foul accounts says it has been sent to collections and it doesn't state which ones.. so who do I dispute then or How do I find out who has the account?! What is my best move???

does anyone have a copy of a good 2nd dv letter?

Hello,

I am a newbie, and I am excited about starting my credit repair. I read what divemedic had to say about starting the process and it was great info. This guy is awesome with info.

But, he also said that "he would post details on how the filing game works"

does anyone have that info?

Thanks

Man as soon as I begin all kinds of people are shooting me letters CAs from 10 years or so trying to collect I am like yea right! 8-)

I currently live in New York State and have for 5 years now. I have some medical collections being reported by a CA from 2000. These bills began in the state of Colorado. Which state determines the statute on how long they have to file a judgement against me?

Some of these accounts are not currently reporting. I am scared that if I dispute them, it might stir something up for them to take action against me.

as i could be incorrect( according to my wifr, itd 99.9% of the time) but i think you have to be sue or pursued in the state that you reside in. hopefully one of the lifer memebers will will speak up and agree or set me straight on my misinformation. I am a self professed ignorant bast##D, but i try try to be helpful.

hello! i'm kinda new to this...I was wondering can I dispute or validate medical collections? I checked my cr and all my negatives are medical that was never paid from 2000-2003. please help...

hello! i'm kinda new to this...I was wondering can I dispute or validate medical collections? I checked my cr and all my negatives are medical that was never paid from 2000-2003. please help...

The answer is absolutely! You can deal with any type of consumer collections by following the steps.

Ok I am so confused I am reading the posts here trying to get started with cleaning up my credit. I have a charge off with First Premier Bank in the amount of $444.00 the account is about 3 years old, however, when reading the steps to take in order to dispute this charges some say to contact the CRA first and others say DV first, which is it? Should I even try being that I know I owe the money; I mean I am hoping I guess they do not keep really good records and this could be deleted. Please help

OC's don't have to respond to a DV, but they ARE required by the FCRA to report accurate and complete information to your CR. Also, Florida's version of the FDCPA applies to OC's as well. Check your own state laws.

Leave the CRA alone, under this plan, they are your partner in helping you get rid of the TL's. Call the CRA, play dumb, BE NICE. Tell them the tradeline is wrong. When they ask why, tell them you don't remember doing business with them. Tell tham you have written the company and they won't respond to you. Tell them you need help, the reps will help you file the dispute. Don't get abusive or pushy with the CRA and you will find that they will help you out.

Look, you have to understand that the CRA is not the problem here. All they do is maintain and compile information provided by others. The CA and OC are the ones providing erroneous information and are the weak links here. LEAVE THE CRA ALONE AND TRIP UP THE CA OR OC. This will also save you a lot of work, as now you can concentrate on one thing at a time.

Good Luck.

If the OC isn't required by law to respond, but can validate, how are they in violation (when does violation occur?)

Let's say that the OC is on yor report, and you dispute with the CRA. Your tradelines look like this:

Fred's Bank..........EQ...........EX...........TU

Open...............9/2000.......9/2000......9/2000

Responsibility......Indiv.......Indiv.........Indiv

High Credit.......$5544.....$5544..........$5544

DOLA.............8/2001......11/2001......6/2001

Balance...........$8960......$7722........N/A

Status..........Repo/CO.......CO...........CO

Status Date 6/2006.......6/2006.....6/2006

If you dispute these tradelines, and they verify, they are obviously not the same as each other, which begs the question: If the tradelines are not even the same as each other, then how can they ALL be complete and accurate? That is an actionable 623(B) violation for failure to investigate. Get it?

Let's say that the OC is on yor report, and you dispute with the CRA. Your tradelines look like this:

Fred's Bank..........EQ...........EX...........TU

Open...............9/2000.......9/2000......9/2000

Responsibility......Indiv.......Indiv.........Indiv

High Credit.......$5544.....$5544..........$5544

DOLA.............8/2001......11/2001......6/2001

Balance...........$8960......$7722........N/A

Status..........Repo/CO.......CO...........CO

Status Date 6/2006.......6/2006.....6/2006

If you dispute these tradelines, and they verify, they are obviously not the same as each other, which begs the question: If the tradelines are not even the same as each other, then how can they ALL be complete and accurate? That is an actionable 623(B) violation for failure to investigate. Get it?

Would this be a good example. this is being reported by Midland Credit management. so i'll send a DV to midland and once i get card back request and investigation from both the CR's reporting, and wait to violations, correct?

TransUnion Experian Equifax

Past Due: $1213 $1204

High Balance: $829 $829

Terms:

Limit:

Payment: $0

Opened: 08/2002

Reported: 11/12/2006 10/2006

Responsibility: Individual Individual

I am writing this as a guide to how I cleaned negatives from my credit report. I also hope to correct some misconceptions about the validation process. I will post examples of my letters soon. It all starts with a credit report. You need to obtain a copy of your credit report from all 3 agencies. A 3 in 1 report doesn’t cut it. There is much more detail to be found in the individual reports. Go ahead and spend the $30 or so. It is worth it. Save copies of the reports, you will need them.

First, dispute all of the negative TL’s on your report. I got 4-5 deletions that way. This was effective on about 20% of my accounts. This will take 30 days or so. You can dispute over the phone, because I don’t feel like suing the CRA is the best way to go. If you aren’t going to sue them, you don’t need the documentation. IT may work for others, but I have had better luck with the CA’s and OC’s.

Next, after the initial investigations are complete, DV all of the remaining ones. Now, you can take your time and eliminate them in manageable groups. However many you have the time and money for, whether it is 3 or 10 at a time. The way to do this is simple. Sometimes a company attempts to dodge DV’s by refusing to sign for them. When the letter is returned to you, save it to use as evidence later, and then resend it by FEDEX with delivery confirmation. More expensive, to be sure, but most companies will sign for FEDEX without a second thought. When the green cards come back, immediately request reinvestigation from the CRA. This does one of three things:

1 They don’t validate, and they don’t reply to the CRA. Deletion. You win.

2 They don’t validate, they verify with CRA. Violation. Proceed to next step.

3 They validate accurately, either with or without verifying to the CRA. Very rare. Only happened once so far for me. They just don’t keep good enough records. You negotiate pay for delete in this case.

There is no time limit for the CA to reply to your letter. They can simply do nothing, and are not in violation. That is why requesting reinvestigation through the CRA is important. It forces the CA to violate by re-reporting an invalid tradeline or allow deletion. Get more copies of at least one report that has been re-reported and save it. You will need it later. I use the equifax service, so I can pull it once a day if needed.

Next step. You need to prove the violations are intentional to really get them. So, you repeat the above steps using a repeat DV letter. Once they have verified with the CRA twice and have not validated, you have repeat violations. This is enough to get them. The above steps got rid of about 40% of my total negatives. With the 20% who didn’t verify with the CRA, you are most of the way there.

Now you need to tally the violations. You can sue for violations of FDCPA and state law. I used the Florida version of the FDCPA. This was especially useful, because while the FDCPA allows $1000 in damages, the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act allows another $1,000 and whatever punitive damages allowed by the court. Look into your state’s laws for details.

Once you count the violations, send them a fax telling them you are suing them and give statute numbers, unless they agree to delete. This may shake out a few more deletions. Maybe another 5-10%

Now, the hard part. I have sued 6 CA’s and OC’s and only one went to trial so far. The one that did go to trial was for a friend. She got scared and dropped the case, rather than fight. All 5 of the remaining cases negotiated a settlement prior to trial for my expenses and a deletion. The 5 settlements totaled about $1000 to my pocket, which just about covered my expenses. I could have pushed it and asked for more, or gone to court and tried for more, but my goal was clear credit, not making money. Besides, any lawyer will tell you court is a crap shoot.

If you can get a deletion, take it. Don't get greedy.

Next post (later) will detail how the filing game works.

hi everyone,im new.i spent a couple days reading alot of helpful posts taking notes etc.

i really like the above plan alot however i have one question, after i dispute with the CRA am i supposed to mail out the DVs right after? or do i wait 30 days?

i just want to make sure i do everything right...

thanks,

c

Hello I reciently came to grips with the fact that I ruined my credit in my late teens to my early twentys. I am ready to start fixing my mess. I have alot of late payments, several unpaid creditors, chargeoffs, and one repo that I reicently paid off. I don't know where to begin to fix the mess. My husband says that I need to dispute everything on my credit report. Help?

Hello Peeps:

How would I dispute via phone. Does anyone have any contact numbers. I have tried but all I get is a automated machine. Someone please post up phone numbers for all 3 bureaus.

I have been reading this thread and searching here for a couple days, and can't find an answer to my question, so hopefully someone can help here...

A) I have a CA that I have contacted and actually held a conversation with their "Legal Department", and asked them to send me paperwork. The LD informed me that everything was sent to them electronically, and they don't have paperwork to send to me.

B) I have a CA that sold their debt to another CA. Both of them are reporting delinquent. The original CA shows "Sold To Other Agency", but is still on my credit report. Doesn't this affect me with a ding, and can't this be removed!?

I appreciate everything in advance!? Thanx!

Hello I reciently came to grips with the fact that I ruined my credit in my late teens to my early twentys. I am ready to start fixing my mess. I have alot of late payments, several unpaid creditors, chargeoffs, and one repo that I reicently paid off. I don't know where to begin to fix the mess. My husband says that I need to dispute everything on my credit report. Help?

That's what I was told as well, and I did it, and it in fact ended up hurting me in the long run by dinging my credit 30 points. Now I went from a 100% loan for buying a house, to having to do a 90/10, and it's driving me nutts!

So just be prepared! :)

Credit repair sia process. Don't expect to file a dispute and then be done. You will get short term fluctuations while doing it. It will take some time (at least six months) so if you are under pressure to get a house or something, you are at a disadvantage.

Here's a question for you... I received my investigation report back from Experian. They said that the "Information was verified with CA". I know FOR A FACT that 2 of the items on my credit are not mine, and are not valid.

When they "verify information", what do they send back to the CRA? They pick up the phone, say "Yes it's his", and that's it?

One of the CA's that I talked to personally, said that they don't have any "paperwork" on the matter, it is all electronic, and they can't send me any paperwork because of that, even after I requested documentation in writing from them on the phone, so how can they verify anything with the CRA's?

You are only going to get so far with the CRA. After that, you must go after the source. The source is the furnisher (CA, OC) The reason you follow the steps above is to build evidence for a court case. If they back down earlier, great.

Once you have gone through the process and you can prove that they have violated, and then committed the same violations a second or even third time (depending on how many rounds you did) then you have the evidence to file a suit. You need to sue them and force them to comply with the law.

Just curious to know how long one has to sue an OC or CA for violating the FCRA? I've built up evidence against 3 OCs for reporting my accounts as being charged-off without verifying the debt (one bank's loan officer forged my signature on the original application/prom note and used my household goods as collateral for the loan). This evidence is about a year old and I've been on "vacation" from my credit repair work since that time to deal with other things that were going on in my life.

Should I start the DV process all over again for these creditors or pick up where I left off and sue the pants off of them?