Has anyone had to deal with HSBC finance corporation?

hopeful

Hsbc formally known as Hsbc retail services has put inquiries on my credit report and I called the numbers given on my credit report only to find out that they are to a fax machine. After doing research I found their phone number and called them and found out that I do not have an account with them so I ask why the inquiries then? They said didn't you look into buying a motorcycle? I said yes but not in 6/2004 it was in 2001 and they said oh. So again why the inquiries? They didn't know but said they can't remove them. What do I do? I am now MAD!!! because of all the run around they gave me. According to the FCRA they can't do this without permissible purpose and can be fined a maximum of $1,000. How do I go about making them pay? Do they get fined $1,000 per entry?

I do have some good news I've only been doing this since Jan. 2005 and I have already gotten 4 deletes off my credit report!!!!!

They can remove them. They put them there. You weren't speaking to the correct department. There's no way a 1-800 customer service rep would know how to proceed since the request is out of their jurisdiction.

And.... the penalties for pulling a report under false pretenses is a lot worse than $1,000.

§ 619. Obtaining information under false pretenses [15 U.S.C. § 1681q]

Any person who knowingly and willfully obtains information on a consumer from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.

Your issue is best taken up with their corporate offices. The violation has already occurred, so they pretty much screwed up.

An ITS letter may be in order. You'll have to sue them on the violation, or they may decide it's not worth it and simply wish to settle with you directly.

Nonetheless, get your issue into the hands of one of their VP's at corporate. Probably be a VP of Compliance, or something similar.

Use Google to search for contact info. BBB is also a good reference.

I would also mention the FTC Safeguards Rule:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/05/safeguards.htm

...and that you request a complete and thorogh investigation. Who's to say an employee isn't grabbing your personal information out of their database for a fraud ring?

That's not being paranoid, that's what's happening out there. Very scary.