Todd1225

My experience with MBNA...

Well, after making the decision that we could not pay our credit bills, I contacted MBNA about a payment plan/settlement/etc. They said that they did not work directly with customers, I would have to call CCCS.

Well, we had tried CCCS months before, and unfortunately MBNA won't work with them, no even an inch.

Well, 3 months rolled around and with Christmas, etc..we got behind on the credit card bills. After we missed two months, they started calling. At first it was just to my wife., we knew we were filing BK, so we kinda ignored them. So, they began looking through their files on us and actually called my in laws house looking for my wife.

My wife was mad, so she called them, they said "that's just the number we have for you, I guess it's an old number". A couple days later my wife called MBNA and told them what happened, they told her that they use a program to track people down when they won't pay. In this call, we supplied our lawyer contacts, etc and to which they replied:

"Well, you qualify for multiple programs to help you avoid bancruptcy".

Wait a minute, you wouldn't work with me directly before, now you are offering "multiple programs"? We looked into those, but they were all mortgage based...we don't have any equity in the house...end of phone call.

Aside from that, no one was rude but it did make me a little ill about the "work with us" switch-a-roo.

Hope this info helps...

I struggled to pay a $14,000 MBNA credit card bill late in '03. When I knew I was going 7, MBNA was all over me. They'd call my work, my home, and my mom. They would sell and resell my info to CAs. I would send at least one certified cease and desist letters to them and the CA each week. Sure enough, the following week another would call. They would sell my info to another company as soon as I shut down the phone calls from one CA. Then I started receiving phone calls from Wolpoff and Abrams (law firm / collection). They were "threatening" me with lawsuit. I use quotes because they say it off the record.

MBNA told me that they do not settle on balances nor work out payment plans. Then three weeks before I filed, I received a letter from MBNA directly telling me that I qualify for a large interest deduction if I call and make a small payment. So this type of thing must be standard with them. They wait till the very last minute before they consider working something out. But by then I was sure I was going to file so it was too late-

g/f notified them (MBNA) of intent of file CH 7 and gave the caller her atty's contact info. About 30 days later, they called back & offered to take $2500 to settle on an account that had grown to about $6500. This was about 4 to 5 months after payments were stopped. I guess that they have to be really convinced that there's little hope before they are interested in working with you. Then again, this may have been just a lowball attempt to see if she could be lured back into the fold...

There's a phone log of every coversation that takes place. That rep you spoke with should be fired for spewing those lies to you. The 1-800 reps don't even handle the hardship program, so they should have simply transferred your call.

MBNA does have a hardship program.

A couple of years ago on another site, someone had a $28K balance to MBNA spread out over several cards. They refused to deal with him so, he filed. A few days after filing, they contacted his lawyer and offered to settle for 25%! He told 'em to kiss his fine a$$. 8-)