Found an open credit card in my name that i do not recall!

turkish

About 10 months ago I pull my credit report from true credit to just check up on things and do a little repairing! I noticed a credit card open in my name that i do not recall. It had a $5,000 limit. I did not even have a credit card for this account. Well It was never used or anything! I then recieved a statement and called the 800 number and closed it. I didnt really look into it much. Now I looking into buying a house in 8 months and wanted to know if this affects my credit report in anyway. Does it look bad that I have a credit card was opened and then closed! At what point is having to many credit cards open bad if it is. I have a Discover card open, Neiman Marcu open, Providian open, bloomingdale's open, and I just open the amercian express blue! I have about 5 closed cards. One of the closed account has a balance that I've been paying down. Should I reopen it or pay it off and keep it closed? My bloomingdale's card is open with no balance but it has some late payments from 2 years ago. Should I close this account or leave it open?

Have you disputed this account? It is probably a neutral rating. Since your bloomingdales is open with a couple of lates.. I would write a goodwill letter. Since it's open, it probably won't get deleted. There is a always a chance though. I wouldn't pull any more inquiries or open anymore new accts. You want the history of the accts that you have had over 24 months. I wouldn't close those right now either. Make sure your utilization is around 30-35%.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking what was your score when you were approved for blue?

No I just closed the credit card. I was thinking of calling and telling them to remove all of their stuff from my credit history! I think I maid a mistake by opeing up amex. Can I call them up and inform that i maid a mistake by opening a new account and that I would like to close the card and delete it from my records? is that possible? score is 694

Have you disputed this account? It is probably a neutral rating. Since your bloomingdales is open with a couple of lates.. I would write a goodwill letter. Since it's open, it probably won't get deleted. There is a always a chance though. I wouldn't pull any more inquiries or open anymore new accts. You want the history of the accts that you have had over 24 months. I wouldn't close those right now either. Make sure your utilization is around 30-35%.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking what was your score when you were approved for blue?

No, their not going to do that. I had a Cap One, was not my acct opened for 3 mths. There were no charges on the card. They are reporting it as unrated and never late. I know Amex will not just delete from your history. They will definitely close it when you tell them too (zero balance). I think your better off now just leaving it as is... if you are waiting 6 mths for your purchase. Another thing, it's perfect to have 3-4 cards with over 24 mths history. I would definitely hold back on any more accts.

I have an capital 1 account that I closed back in 1999. I has a good history. Is it possible to reopen this account and have it look like it been open since 1999 and would it look good on my credit report?

No, their not going to do that. I had a Cap One, was not my acct opened for 3 mths. There were no charges on the card. They are reporting it as unrated and never late. I know Amex will not just delete from your history. They will definitely close it when you tell them too (zero balance). I think your better off now just leaving it as is... if you are waiting 6 mths for your purchase. Another thing, it's perfect to have 3-4 cards with over 24 mths history. I would definitely hold back on any more accts.