Checking Licensing...help??

HeartRN

Ok, so I started checking some licenses and I need some help. The first one is for CA The Bureaus, located in Evanston, IL. I looked them up under "collection agency" and "collection agency branch", yet I can't find them. Surely they're licensed. I tried searching with several variations of their name too. This is all I get.

BUREAU OF COLLECTION 17001266 ACTIVE EDEN PRAIRIE, MN 01/05/1994 05/31/2006 N

BUREAU OF CREDIT CONTROL 17000501 CANCELLED URBANA, IL 05/31/1985 N

BUREAU OF CREDIT CONTROL A DIVISION OF 17000409 CANCELLED CHAMPAIGN, IL N

BUREAU OF PRIVATE INVESTIGATION IN 17000142 CANCELLED PEORIA, IL

BURNS COLLECTION AGCY 17000688 CANCELLED SPARTA, IL 05/31/1985 N

The other one I have a ? about is CA AFNI (Anderson Financial Network Inc). The only name that came up under the "collection ageny" was Anderson and Gore Itl. But when I searched under "collection agency branch" I found 2 listings for Anderson Financial Network Inc. One license was cancelled in 1997 (Marion, IL) and the other was non-renewed in 2000 (Jacksonville, IL). The address I have for AFNI listed on my CR is in Bloominton, IL. Does this mean this CA doesn't have a license to collect in their own state??

Still working on verifying CA license for The Bureaus, Inc. I've tried doing some searches, but haven't found anything yet. I will continue looking through the past threads. I did contact the licensing supervisor via email at the NC DOI, and she said she couldn't find a license for The Bureaus, Inc either. I also had her check on a new CA I just received from Robinson, Reagan & Young, P.L.L.C.. She told me they weren't licensed here either. Now I did find a comment in a previous post that AFNI and RR&Y are the same company, but I'm not finding anything anywhere that connects them. Incidentally, AFNI does have a permit as required in NC. However, I still haven't found a license for them in IL (their state). Anyone else familiar with these CAs and if they're licensed?

I found the NC site that lists everyone who has a permit to act as a collection agency in this state, and they weren't listed. I also contacted a woman at the NC DOI who is the licensing supervisor, asked her if The Bureaus, Inc (even gave her an address) had a permit, and she told me "no they don't". But I'm not sure if they do business under any other names that I should be looking for. Unfortunately, that list I found is a pdf file, and the woman I spoke with told me it's only updated quarterly.

You can call your state offices as well. Some states do not have licensure searches available online.

Licensure may be under your Department of Labor, or Bureau of Economic Growth, or Secretary of State...

You may have to make a few calls to get to the right department, but you'll be speaking to the appropriate department who has direct access to the information you need.