Wrong acct no on CA letter

Mlenri

I received a letter from a CA a few days ago with an account no for a bank line of credit which I supposedly owed. The CA has since bought this debt from the bank concerned. I called the OC and they have no such record of this account under my name or social security no. In fact, they said that there are a few numbers missing from the acct no provided in the letter but even so, it should show up under my social security no. Does this automatically mean I do not have to pay the CA since they cannot even get their account nos. straight? Please advise.

Thanks for the advice. I have already sent a DV, even before I got the letter since I got a call from the CA. I will wait and see what they come up with. They have offered a settlement but I have since rejected it, sending them notification through the phone and by email as well as registered mail.