Continuance? Settlement?

I Just received copy of a MSD to be heard at an upcoming trial in 10 days. I would think they have a 95% chance of getting a judgement. If I hire an attorney and pursue some time-consuming evidence gathering I would think at least 50% of this $4000 liability waived. This debt is less than a year old and is not a cc bit a written contract and has not been reported.

Should I ask for a continuance to hire an attorney. Is this a sufficient reason for district ct and how is this done?

Should I contact plaintiff's attorneys and try to negotiate a settlement?

I seems, liabilty wise, either avenue will cost about the same. I guess I just don't want any chance of a judgement being entered. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I Just received copy of a MSD to be heard at an upcoming trial in 10 days. I would think they have a 95% chance of getting a judgement. If I hire an attorney and pursue some time-consuming evidence gathering I would think at least 50% of this $4000 liability waived. This debt is less than a year old and is not a cc bit a written contract and has not been reported.

MSD?? There are acronyms which pop up all the time that I don't know about :?

Maybe the OP meant MSJ....motion for summary judgment. :dunno2:

If they've filed an MSJ, you can file an objection to their motion. Objections for MSJs need to be very specific, in my understanding, and not just "I disagree".

I don't know much about the continuance though...you might search around for your options on that. You might also start thinking about seeing if they'll settle and dismiss prior to the MSJ hearing. I'd think you'd have to have pretty good cause for them to agree to that though.

I'd do more reasearch asap.

Thanks so far.

MSJ=Motion for Summary Disposition

The cintunuance would be key in ahving a time to obtain and attorney and/or build a much stonger case. I will have a hard time objecting the the motion at this point.