relationships and accounts

start-over

Hey All,

I am goin thru BK (waiting for discharge, past the 341) my GF has credit issues. Can I open up an account for her, and can they garnish if my name is the main on the account? She would be the only one using the account. We do not have any other accounts together. She is wanting to clear her credit up but is still struggling with doing so, Cash on hand = Cash gone... No lawsuits for her so far, just collection agencies. Any ideas on what to do for her would be alot of help, Thanks Guys... (and gals :) )

Hey All,

I am goin thru BK (waiting for discharge, past the 341) my GF has credit issues. Can I open up an account for her, and can they garnish if my name is the main on the account? She would be the only one using the account. We do not have any other accounts together. She is wanting to clear her credit up but is still struggling with doing so, Cash on hand = Cash gone... No lawsuits for her so far, just collection agencies. Any ideas on what to do for her would be alot of help, Thanks Guys... (and gals :) )

Her account can be affected if you are a joint signer on the account.

I recommend that she find a local credit union that she can get a savings account at least. They usually won't pull Chex for a share-savings account and she'll have deposit and withdrawal access.

I had recent BK too, but I'm about 6 months ahead of you as I was discharged in 10/04. I had problems with my bank when they denied me for a secured loan that i wanted just to add a tradeline. I was p*ssed off because my scores have recently improved and there is no risk to the bank since they were securing the funds.

So I joined a credit union. I have free checking, a savings that pays me double what the bank paid me in interest, and they gave me the loan I wanted, no questions asked. They also offered me a credit card, but I declined it. The difference is night and day...Not sure how to answer your question on garnishment, but you may want to check out what a credit union has to offer anyway!