First Settlement.....Not so fast!!!

CreditSuperstar

Okay,

Recently dv'd a CA. Actually a lawyer acting as a CA. They call themselves Citation Business Services. This is for a legit electric bill from first reported delinquent in July 1998 in Rhode Island.

The attorney-CA responded with 1/2 of the original bills, no copy of any agreement from the OC that they are eligible to collect from me, and no proof they are permitted to collect from me in my state (CT).

A letter included in this mailing is on a Citation letterhead and states at the end, "Please forward your payment in full to this office payable to Judy B. Assad, Attorney for Narragansett Electric. First, this attorney IS acting as a CA and should be treated as such, correct?

Next, in this same mailing was a letter from the OC STATING that since the debt is so old, not ALL the bills were found. However, it states that the amounts owed are listed on the bills provided.

Now we are talking about $175.00 here. I wanted this off my reports and decided to offer them $88.00 to settle and delete.

I just received a phone call from the OC and they left a message STATING that the CA/attorney does NOT have the authority to add or delete ANYTHING from my CR's without their approval.

He went on to say that they would settle for $125.00. However, they would NOT delete anything. they wouldn't even list it as paid/never late. He clearly stated that it would remain on my report as a PAID Collection.

Obviously this does me no good.

I did some research and found that the SOL on this debt in RI is 10 years! I am assuming that RI would be the relevant state and not CT.

I am wondering what the next step here should be. It doesn't seem correct that a CA can contact me and yet not have authority to resolve a debt as they see fit.

I also believe this debt will fall off at the end of this year. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance...

FCS

Gee whiz... so this hardass at Narragansett Electric was the CEO? Or does he make ALL the decisions for the company? Who gives a crap what he has to say - take your issue to their executive offices, and calmly try to work something out with them.

Maybe someone else can help me out here... but would it really be worth the OC's time, effort, and money to sue over $175?

Also... the CA has no authority to settle as they see fit- then I would question their authority to actually collect the debt... make them show you the agreement with the OC that gives them the right to collect.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you're bound by the laws in your current state... but I could be VERY WRONG in that recollection.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Maybe someone else can help me out here... but would it really be worth the OC's time, effort, and money to sue over $175?

You be surprised.

I don't see any reason to prolong this battle - it's equally a waste of time for the poster...

Attorneys who act as CA's may be governed under state (and Fed) collection laws, but often times (as in MI), they are exempt from any kind of licensure requirements.

The poster already stated this was a legit debt, and for such a small amount, I would work out a pay for delete directly with their executive offices.

Just my opinion....