Help!!!

My husband just informed me he wanted to sell the house. He was done with me and his life. Question..... I have $10,000 in debt with credit cards that are in my name only. although used for house stuff, they are just in my name. I make very little money and am wondering should I get a loan to pay these cc off or .......... I just don't know what to do. 4 years ago I filed for bankruptcy so that isn't an option. Debt consolidation scares me....Do I find an atty and see if I can negotiate that he take some responsibility for that debt. I'm just dumbfounded. Can anyone give me some advice.

Sounds like you need a good divorce lawyer. Generally it is my understanding that debts incurred for household expenses are divided 50/50 in divorces that do not involve some reason to change the ratio (like infidelity).

It's bad all around when divorce is an issue, so you have my sympathy in your situation. It does seem that he hasn't thought this through very well himself otherwise he'd know he gets half the debt just as he gets half the assets.

Do you have reciepts that prove that the items were used for the house? How much equity is in the house? Does he plan on splitting the money made from the house with you?

I would ask that any money made from the sale of the house be used to pay off debt that was created to improve the house. I'm sure your attorney would be able to direct you on this issue, I am not an attorney.