Cross County Bank card never opened but they want money

I looked through "Search" about Cross County Bank but couldn't find information specifically about this. Girlfriend decides to apply to Cross County Bank after obtaining a really good card from Providian. She figures she is on a roll. She told me about applying. I then warn her that Cross Country Bank is being sued by our State Attorney General. I further advised her to look at the fine print when she gets the card. Upon arrival of the card she looks at all the language and discovers a fee for opening the account, an annual fee, ect. (you get the idea). I tell her NOT to activate the card and call them and advise she does not agree to the terms and does not want the card. I sat right there beside her when she called. The first words out of her mouth was she did not want the account activated. They agreed, and she destroyed the card. She made it clear that she was not going to pay any fees. From her side of the coversation I assumed all was well. UNTILL... she recieved a statement for approximately $153.00. On the bottom of the statement it states that the account is closed but that she still owes the amount for fees. This is just down right NASTY!!! The account was never opened. Never activated. Assuming everything had been fine with the previous conversation I now asked her what the man said when she had told him she was not paying the fees. She then advised he said nothing. She assumed by him saying nothing and not advising otherwise he acknowledged this. Every phone called now made to Cross County Bank ends with, "We are experiencing high call volume. Please call back later." I have no doubt about the high call volume if everyone is treated like this. Question: Is this legal? Any grounds to fight or just have to eat it?

I'm assuming since she applied for the card, she agreed to the $153 in fees. I would write a letter CMRR with a copy of that letter, I would state that it is not my account and therefore I am not paying you anything. I would probably cc the AG on it.

But, I couldn't be happier that their a- are in trouble. CCB abuses people.. I literally witnessed them harass and threaten a friend of mine. This has been a few years back. If I had known what I do now, I would testify to the harassment/abuse. It was beyond terrible what they did to him.

Just in case somebody is looking at this and wondering if Cross Country Bank is right for you, I am looking at the bill right now and listen (or read) this crazy stuff:

Annual Fee $50.00

Account Origination Fee 0.00

Finance Charge $100.00

Finance Charge Purchases $0.84

Finance Charge Cash Advance $1.66

NEW BALANCE $152.50

She just got the card last week and called to get rid of it the same day. How can there be finance charges for purchase and cash advance?

Also the credit extended was $400.00. This is after Providian extends $1500.00 credit. Obviously, Cross Country Bank is a money making scam. It is as bad as that guy on TV who wants you to buy his book with all those natural cures in it.

Prepare an affidavit of fact as to what you witnessed and sign it before a notary public.

Send a copy of said affidavit with a letter denying all liability to the OC and let them know they are precariously close to committing an act of fraud. Be very clear that the account was not activated after reading the terms of the contract and that you did not agree to those terms.

Let them know that you will be checking credit reports periodically to see if they are reporting anything and that you will sue for FCRA violations if any such tradelines exist. Send two copies of the letter to the same address one by certified mail, the other by USPS proof of mailing. This ensures that they do get the letter even if they refuse the CMRRR.

Give them 30 days to correct their mistake and provide written response. After that, if they insist on payment or continue reporting to the CRAs, take the documents to an attorney and sue their butts off.

• 1 month later...

Helped her with BBB complaint and received a scalding letter from Cross County with BBB complaint in it about how it was understood that those charges would have to be paid even if the card was never activated BUT they would take care of the charges this time and the account is settled. Way to go BBB!!!