Deleted from 3 CRA's, now what

Mr. Levitow

OK, I’ll shorten this thread but I really need somebody’s advice. Asset is still coming after me w/collection letters and such but I don't think they have anything to hold on to. The account in question is completely bogus, I had a phone account when I lived in Texas for two months that was paid in full, but I have no proof of it ever being paid (doh)! Asset was assigned account for $500(!?). I contacted phone company who says they have no info except for that the account was sold to Asset. Asset has no info (talked to them on phone) except for my name and the telephone company's name. So Asset don’t have $h!! but what should I do now? I have a strong feeling that I can nail them but I’m not really sure what I should do. Someone give me some guidance please.

OK, I'll have to go into ye ole files and find them...I was bouncing around the website and found some more stuff of how to settle debts and such so it looks like pay with money order and hold onto copy for proof. However, the settlement letter came from Midland Credit Management, Inc out of California. I read on the website that Cali has a weird loophole for creditors that can still sue even if I received a settlement letter from a CA. Does anybody have any input or experience with Midland?