CA never updated paid judgement. Can I sue?

calpine34

I am new to all this and needs lots of help but the first thing I 'll ask is relatively simple.

I had a debt to a CA that I couldn't pay at the time. The CA filed a judgement against me. A few months later I had the funds and paid the debt, settling the judgement in full.

Approximately 8 months later I pull my credit and the judgement is still listed as not having been paid. I contacted the CA and they said they had goofed up and not notified the court that it had been paid in full. They then sent thecourt a letter showing the debt had been paid. After that the entry was updated on my reports as a paid judgement. The CA sent me a printout showing that me the original date that I had paid them according to thier records along with a copy of the "settled" letter from the court.

My question is this: Since I paid the debt and the CA did not report that it had been satisfied for another 8 months and it was being reported to the CRA's for those 8 months as still not paid, can I sue the CA who filed the judgement for something ($) ? I could use the money to pay off a couple other smaller debts so that would be helpful, but not sure where to start.

Any help is appreciated. Also what type of dollar amount should I ask for if I can sue them?

Thanks.

Yes you could. For violating section 623 of the FCRA.

Whether you would win is another matter. The problem I see is that since they corrected their "mistake," they can claim a defense of bona-fide error and totally escape liability.

You would have to prove some serious actual damages against them for the false reporting to actually prevail on such a case. Like if what they were reporting cost you $20,000 or something. The simple $1000 statutory would be unconvincing.

There might also be cause under the FDCPA, but I don't see anything specific in the law that would apply here...it would be up to court interpretation as to if the reporting functions for dispute equally apply to undisputed incorrect information.

Would it be worth my while to write a letter to the CA and tell them of my intention to sue and see if they would suggest an out of court settlement like a few thousand dollars or something?

I did haveall kinds of problems trying to get approved creidt duirng that time and have turn down letters citing the judgement being the cause. Would that have any bearing?

Actual damages can be equated to the value of the declined credit. For example. if you were turned down on a home loan for $60,000, then your actual damages are $60,000...the value of the credit you were declined. You'd also have show how that decline of credit actually caused you hardship. Being declined on a home loan and having to live out of a Hostel would be pretty convincing. Being unable to buy a plasma TV because your BestBuy application was turned down would not.

Personally, I think their lawyers would simply tell you that they would execute a bona-fide error defense (which they would) and ask for a dismissal.

Its a small local atty who represents this company so do you think that would make a difference since they aren't a Cavalry Portfolio or something?

During the time, I was turned down for a and car loan a couple times and had to pay a higher secuirty deposit at the apt I rented, would that be sufficient?

If the car loan decline inhibited your ability to get to work, prevented you from visitations on a child in a divorcees custody, or something equally serious, then yes. That would be a convincing argument. The higher security deposit might be harder to prove unless having to pay the extra deposit prevented you from using the money on something critical.