Can they really do this?? 2 questions....

jwwceo

I have an account with some douchebag law firm that buys up bad checks. I bounced a check for $13 close to 6 years ago. I called the law firm that represents the collection agancy and he told me that theres no way he will delete, even if I pay him the full amount he is asking, which is $113 and change. Then he threatened that if I didn't pay him today he would change the date of last activity on the account to today so that it will be on my account for 7 years from today. Is that legal?????This is slated to fall off in about a year anyway, which is why I will only pay if he deletes. A paid in full to me looks only slightly better than a chargeoff.

At any rate, I contacted the place I bounced the check to and they agreed to work out a deal with me. If I send them the full amount they will contact the law firm on their letterhead and say that the account was reported in error. Is there anyhing wrong with this?? It seems to be like I'll be jacking the law firm and sending the money where it rightfully should go. Can the law firm do anything to stop this since they now own the account???

James

I have an account with some douchebag law firm that buys up bad checks.

Now that’s my kind of proper use of U.S. English language

As far as paying the OC directly I would jump on that deal. nothing wrong with that.

Personally I would send that crooked attorney a demand letter stating in so many words that if they attempt any more extortion toward me, their law firm is going to be synonymous with the word MUD in the state and county they practice in, some attorney's need checked, they play on peoples fear, lots of recourse against arse's like that, a good letter writing campaign to the proper entities can make them wish they wouldn't have tried to bully you around. G/L