Is this the norm now?

Hi folks,

Just wanted to run something by you all. This is in regards to "Sears" and their CC.

My sister had a dispute with JC Penney. They had installed her curtains she'd charged to her CC (with THEM) incorrectly--she couldn't get them out to repair them, paid ALL but 700.00 (she paid out about 2500.00) that was on her CC. She decided that if they weren't going to repair them that she wasn't going to pay for them so she quit making pmts (I know, not all too good of an idea) but they closed her acct and sent her to collections.

She's now dealing with an outside CA. About 2 wks back she gets a letter from SEARS stating they are revoking her credit rights with them and her CC she had with them for about 14 yrs! She was NEVER late once with Sears (or anyone else, just Penney's) and they're claiming that it's due to adverse info contained in her CR's! By the way, she had a zero balance with Sears and the ONLY issue on her CR's is this one with Penney's.

Thoughts? Is this becoming a common trend and if so, with Visa/MC/Discover/Amex to?

Elyse

Yes....it's becoming very common. Creditors more and more are watching and see if you're going to become a risk. If they see that you might, they close you down before you can screw up with them too. Sucks, doesn't it??

On a different note....it costs almost $3500 to get curtains?!? From Penny's?!?! :roll: EGADS. I'll make my own, thankyouverymuch.

:wink:

So they've devised YET another way to punish the consumer...of course!

:(

Let's see--we got higher interest rates, various FEES/COSTS, Collection agencies, new BK laws, numerous things that can "hurt" a credit report, lay offs...we're danged if we do and danged if we don't.

Like how hard is it to GET the darn things (Credit Cards) in the FIRST place and to be a loyal customer and never late for 14 yrs just goes out the window...that's ok, I've heard HORRIFIC things about Sears' credit dept, so I know she isn't missing out on much.

But that's ok, I'm a firm believer in what goes around--COMES AROUND.

:evil:

Thanks for the warning though--gosh, talk about walking on EGG shells.

E~

Yeah.. citibank pulled this crap on me, had been with them since '89 at 5.6%, and they pulled my credit report and found a CA with an $18 balance (go figure) and they ranked my rate up to 29.00% penalty on a $5K balance..(ouch!), as soon as I deal with this CA, going to try and find a Balance Transfer and close down this acct., and checking acct too...

Here, here-I agree. I'll avoid Penney's AND Sears like the plague.

It's amazing, isn't it? They want to be able to get their money, punish us severely when they don't, blah, blah, blah...but they DO NOT want to provide quality merchandise nor QUALITY customer care!!! UNREAL!!! Maybe it's time for US as consumers to ROAR back...so I've taken it upon myself to COMPLAIN immediately when I am not happy with how I was dealt with. Case in point--AIG and Family direct really did a number on me over life insurance (wouldn't accept a money order EVEN THOUGH they'd previously said it was ok-yes, I have the paper stating such) so I contacted them, complained directly-got NO response so I complained on Planet Feedback AND BBB! Grrr...tired of the garbage man! :evil:

Elyse

Citibank has probably the worst reputation of any for this. They love to suck you in at a 3 or 4% int. rate on balance transfers then lay in wait for even the most minor offense to jack you up. If you want to know a bank that does not do this check out E*Trade @ cardoffers.com. I've seen people carry large balances with them and they never do soft pulls.

I'm sure everyone has their own experiences, but I haven't heard entirely GREAT things about "citi" either---but that isn't to say other people haven't had excellent experiences with them. Sometimes I wonder if it's all about WHO you work with or who is doing the billing and what not...

I think if you have your ducks in a row and you've educated yourself on money matters AND credit matters than any company you work with should be ok--because they wouldn't have ANY way to "get you." So that's what I'm trying to do these days...arm myself with education.

JMHO

Elyse