Collection on medical bills, need help!!

Cheeks70

I have tried to find if it is legal for interest to be added to a medical bill. I can't seem to find anything pertaining to Georgia. Does anyone know the answer? A friend's husband received a court summons for the bill which is $400 over the amount of the original bill. Needless to say, she is freaking out! I am trying to get some anwers for her quick before she has a heart attack. She knows nothing about anything concerning how to look this stuff up and I am afraid I am not much better. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

(((BUMP!!)))

Ok, I don't know the EXACT answer but I wanted to bump ya up so that someone else will see your post.

I do know that when a bill is sent to a collection agency they can add an annual rate of 12% (per annum)..in some cases I've seen them do 1% per month. Take the bill amount (before it was sent to collection) and try to figure out if they've added the fair amount...in other words, if the original bill was, say-200.00 then do the math (per month/year depending on age of debt) to see if the amount is right. I'm not a mathematician--but if you remember percentages I think all you do is multiply the original amount--like so...

200.00 times 12% (find out 12% of 200.00 and add that for every year this debt has accumulated)--24.00 per year for interest???

Anyone?

Sorry sweetie, just trying to help.

E~

Elyse

Thanks Elyse.

But I don't think that is what it is. The original balance was $250 something and it was from dental surgery done in '02 so that math doesn't add up.

I am still looking for something but I have decided I just really suck at this investigative stuff! :?

• 3 weeks later...