Experian A$$holes

I disputed an account on DH's credit report. It was an account that Plains Commerce is reporting as an open account (yet CO) and with a balance still owing. I sent Experian a copy of the letter about settling and our proof that the requested amount was paid as per the agreement. Here's the response I got today:

"We are responding to the information you sent. Upon careful review of your information, we determined that we were unable to use it. We are contacting the source of the information you questioned. When we complete our verification process, which may take up to 30 days or up to 45 days for an investigation of information in an annual free credit report, we will send you the results."

WTF!!! It clearly shows the same account number, shows the OC as Plains Commerce and that the account will be paid in full. If that isn't documentation they can use then what the heck is?

And on a side note. Plains Commerce received the documentation as to the settlement over two weeks ago. I called last Thursday after I knew they received the papers and they said they were correcting the reporting error as we were speaking, which I assumed meant they were calling the big three they reported to and fix it but it's still being reported with absolutely no changes. No mention that it's even being disputed. What should I be doing at this point?

Another WTF is how they think they get an extra 15 days if it involves an "annual free credit report!" There is nothing in the law that says they can do that!

Geez...how ballzy can you get?!?

My credit report wasn't even a free one so they darn well better be done within 30 days or they can reimburse me the cost to allow themselves the extra fifteen days. Seriosly though, I just want to know exactly what paperwork they will use if not the agreement and a copy of the payment.

The CRA won't use anything at all. All they do is key it into a computer and send it over to the furnisher asking if what is being reported is correct. (The system is called eOscar) They ask name, SSN, address, and previous address. If three out of four are "close" they have verified that it is you. As for the tradeline info, they simply send what is in their database and ask the furnisher if it is correct. If the furnisher says yes, then it's verified.

System sucks don't it?

You mean I just proved they are reporting inaccurate information and they don't legally have to look into why the company is still reporting false information? Technically they have until the 22nd of this month (+3 to 5 mailing days) to figure what exactly should be reported so I know I can't do much at this point. Assuming that when the 30 days are up there is no change, who should I contact first? Should I contact Plains Commerce (in writing of course) to again request that they correct the information or is there another route, like asking Experian to proved information as to how the debt was verified? I'm only asking because I think I should just look forward to the fact that no one is going to correct it and I want the paperwork in the mail the day they consider the issue resolved.

Another WTF is how they think they get an extra 15 days if it involves an "annual free credit report!" There is nothing in the law that says they can do that!

Geez...how ballzy can you get?!?

Actually... § 612(a)(3) (I don't know if I noted that correctly...) says:

(3) Reinvestigations. Notwithstanding the time periods specified in section 611(a)(1), a reinvestigation under that section by a consumer reporting agency upon a request of a consumer that is made after receiving a consumer report under this subsection shall be completed not later than 45 days after the date on which the request is received.

So I hate to say it... but I think they're right on that one. :roll:

Sorry Lady Butler but that's not correct.

All that section says is that they can't take more than 45 days under any circumstances. The key words are "Notwithstanding the time periods specified". It is simply a confirmation of the section 611(a)(1) section wich says 30 days +15 if the consumer provides more information after the investiagtion has started.

The CRAs are trying to wangle this as a license for extra time, but the plain text of the law doesn't support that interpretation.

Sorry Lady Butler but that's not correct.

All that section says is that they can't take more than 45 days under any circumstances. The key words are "Notwithstanding the time periods specified". It is simply a confirmation of the section 611(a)(1) section wich says 30 days +15 if the consumer provides more information after the investiagtion has started.

The CRAs are trying to wangle this as a license for extra time, but the plain text of the law doesn't support that interpretation.

If that's true... then I stand corrected! :) This isn't the first time I've heard about this, though.

Yup I know. Even I have run into this with the CRAs. A few good verbal smacks and they start admitting the law doesn't give them that authority.

Sooner or later, the FTC and the AGs will step in on this one if they get enough complaints about it.