Lawyers acting as a collection agency.

Hey guys Im back with another question. I just recieved a letter from a law firm saying that my file is in the process of being reviewed to determine what, if any additional means are necessary to secure my legal obligation to their client. Now it does not say who the client is, just "the client" and the bill is to the sum of $1600. I called them to get a debt verification and they said that they do not have to provide me with one. Is that True??? I thought they were governed by the FDCPA to provide me with written proof that I do indeed owe them money. Not only that, but they also became irate with me, literally yelling at me and to "just pay the debt". I logged a complaint with the FTC but they said that they would not do anything unless it came from a group. Can they collect a debt if I have not yet been sent a debt validation??? They also told me that my debt was past validation and that if I did not settle with them that they would sue me. Im not sure, but pretty sure that this is also an illegal tactic. Am I correct in this??? Any help would be great thanks alot.

Lawyers acting as debt collectors are covered by the FDCPA and denying it is a violation in and of itself because it constitutes "deceptive means to collect."

There are only two times I can think of when a lawyer doing debt collection is not covered under the FDCPA: judgements resulting from civil penalties (like parking tickets); and debt incurred for business use (company credit card).

Oh, and STOP CALLING. I know it's convenient, but it won't protect your rights. A lawyer can testify what you said on the phone and enter it as fact...you can't. Do everything in writing.

Good point, I keep getting screwed by these people for trying to do the right thing and contact them. Everything will be done in writing from now on. Now my next question is should I send them a letter to not contact me??? Im not sure if I should dispute the debt simply because I really do not know how much I owe. They won't send me a debt validation, so I dont even know if I actually owe THEM anything. I know I owe the credit card company money (not sure how much) but Im not going to pay john money when I owe steve money just because john said steve hired him to collect, see what Im saying??? So, should I send them a letter to not contact me and that Im disputing the debt or should I just leave well enough alone and not contact them unless they sue me?