Bad check/bad phone number

Corrine

This isn't about myself or hubby. My DH and his ex-girlfriend had a savings account for their daughter. It was supposed to be used as savings and if the ex needed money she could withdrawl funds for his daughter. The ex converted the account to a checking account and then wrote a few checks that bounced along with some on-line purchases that also bounced. She did this all within about six weeks. We first learned about her spending spree in July '01 so we had DH's name removed from the account. In August of that year we were told the account was overdrawn by $500.00 and that even though the checks and on-line purchases were in her name if we didn't pay the account off they would freeze our bank account (our checking account was with the same bank as the savings/checking account).

We paid the account in full and then DH removed his name. The bank then closed the account. A few months later I was served with papers about the ex being taken to court over the bad check. The guy actually served me even though I insisted I was not her. I even gave him her address but he still gave the papers to me. I called the courthouse and explained that I had her summons to appear (I could even see through the window envelope that the plantiff was the state police which she later told DH she wrote a bad check to cover a fine for no car insurance and uninspected vehicle out of the closed account). They courthouse told me to serve the papers on her, which I did. Recently we have been getting calls from a CA (actually more than one if you include all the past CA) about what I assume is the bounced check. They are automated and don't actually say who the call is for:

This is a message for....(complete silence and static)...... This matter is of urgent legal importantance and we must speak with you immediately. Please call us at ........

I looked up the number and it's a CA that specializes in collecting bad checks. We get most of these calls on Sunday evening and Monday morning. When we first started getting the calls in '02 I told them the ex's name an phone # and told them the check didn't involve me or DH. I'm getting fed up at this point. I understand that our phone number is the number on the check but I have told ever CA that calls that she doesn't live here. They always tell me they will note it in their file that she cannot be reached at out number. I'm assuming they sell the account an then fail to forward the info that this is no longer her number. I wouldn't even mind but Sunday at 10 p.m. automated (to boot) is getting rediculous.

I've been dealing with the same one for a few months now. I call back and explain this isn't her number and I get the "We'll remove this contact from our file, blah, blah, blah...." but then they call right back. This last one was the bomb. I called and figured I would just take the "this has been paid" approach. I told the woman that the bank had been paid for the bounced check and I didn't understand why they were contacting me. As soon as I said I wasn't the ex they said they coulnd't discuss it with me. I would agree completely if not for the fact they have already been told she doesn;t live here. I just assumed if they didn't want to talk to a "third party" they would stop calling a number they know is a "third party". I've even told these people the date DH and I got married and exactly how we ended up with the phone number they have as a contact number.

A week later they call right back. I've already told them via phone and CMRRR that she doesn't live here. What else can I do to make them stop calling?

P.S. The Phone # she has now is under her BF's name but the last conversation I had with this particular CA was that they did a search of ownership for where she lives and the owner is a "Mr. Latrich". Duh.... That's her dad and he owns the house she is renting.

They have the check (I assume), they can see her name clearly and they can see that the phone number I gave as her contact number mysteriously links back to property which has the same owner sir name as her own. Am asking for too much when I say they can contact her at that number?

Send them a C&D and tell them -again- that they are after the wrong people. If they continue to contact you, sue them.

Calling you after 10 pm is also a violation.

Did you and your hubby ever file a police report of your own against this woman??? Depending on local laws, it might not be too late.

We didn't file a police report. The gist of it is, he set up a savings account for his daughter.The entire purpose of the account was because she was seeking Child Support. We had no issue with paying paying support but when she filed the C.S. office told us that until their was a final order we needed to be able to show proof she recieved funds so there wouldn't be arrears tacked on. We set up the account so DH could prove he paid money into the account and as the only cardholder, she withdrew funds. It worked fine for a few weeks but she converted the account to a checking account and then started writing like mad. I kid you not I found a check for Domino's Pizza and a sex toy shop. We thought when we paid the account that the matter was cleared up. The C.S office even took the total amount we paid for the account into his arrears estimate and determined he was current when the judgement was entered.

All that is besides the point. I have already told at least three CA (the last in writing) that she cannot be contacted here and they still continue to call. I don't think they are going after DH because it's not on his CR and they never mention his name when I talk to them but the calls are getting to be a bit much. I tell them at noon she doesn't live here and they are calling back at dinner. I've pretty much had it. I'm just wondering what I can do to ensure they don't call here and when they sell the account transfer the information that this is not her contact number. I already tried the Do Not Call letter and that hasn't helped.

I know this is a pain... and yes... you shouldn't HAVE to do this... but could you just change your number and be done with it? Assuming I'm reading your post correctly and the money situation from third party POV doesn't involve you or DH anymore... correct? You can square the money she owes you later...(if you're lucky!)... but at least you won't have phone calls at all hours for someone who doesn't even live there!