Need Help, weird situation.

Jenx

Well first of all this might involve identity theft with a relative.

Let me state some interesting facts.

Our Family Tradition has always given its kid the same first name regardless of Sex.

Second I am not tryiing to run away from this issue.

Third when you apply credit cards they ask you for your first name so I gave it to them, never game them my middle name.

Okay it all started about 1998, which I can't remember clearly because I was just turning 20, applying for my credit cards. I got accepted for a Citibank Card with a limit of 8000(which I don't know why they would have given this to me, considering I had a small job, but at that time, I didn't care, I was young)

This is where things got strange, I applied to so many credit cards I basically couldn't keep track of this. Now mind you I went to college. During this time my brother (who has the same first name) must of took my newly issued card. I never thought about it, because I didn't keep track of it.

Now 7 years later, I find out that my brother has been using a card under my social number and racked up $16,000 dollars. He even changed the credit card name under his name. He moved around and each time, changed the address to the credit card. He intially told me he thought this was his credit card, as he was paying for everything just fine until the final 1-2 years, when he went broke.

I never recieved any statements and never received a statement saying they are sending this account to the collection agency. Next thing I know I got a collection agency named Risk Management Agency calling me.

In all these years, I never bother to get a credit report and I guess I should have. I got my credit report and in 2 of my 3 reports it does show this card under my name. But on my brothers report this card is also under his name in 1 of the reports.

The question is can I call Citibank and explain to them that the whole time, my brother thought this was his card and if I can transfer the account to his name as he was using it the whole time, without me knowing.

Will they settle at a lower price, if I call them? Or is it now in the collection agency's hand?

This is a messed up solution. I have been reading about identity theft but do I want to turn him in, even when he said he is willing to call the company and let them know he thought it was his credit card?

This all fact, I am not trying to cheat anybody, as I have always paid all my credit card bills on time.

Please help me, I am going crazy.

Thanks.

Well first of all this might involve identity theft with a relative.

Let me state some interesting facts.

Our Family Tradition has always given its kid the same first name regardless of Sex.

Second I am not tryiing to run away from this issue.

Third when you apply credit cards they ask you for your first name so I gave it to them, never game them my middle name.

Okay it all started about 1998, which I can't remember clearly because I was just turning 20, applying for my credit cards. I got accepted for a Citibank Card with a limit of 8000(which I don't know why they would have given this to me, considering I had a small job, but at that time, I didn't care, I was young)

This is where things got strange, I applied to so many credit cards I basically couldn't keep track of this. Now mind you I went to college. During this time my brother (who has the same first name) must of took my newly issued card. I never thought about it, because I didn't keep track of it.

Now 7 years later, I find out that my brother has been using a card under my social number and racked up $16,000 dollars. He even changed the credit card name under his name. He moved around and each time, changed the address to the credit card. He intially told me he thought this was his credit card, as he was paying for everything just fine until the final 1-2 years, when he went broke.

I never recieved any statements and never received a statement saying they are sending this account to the collection agency. Next thing I know I got a collection agency named Risk Management Agency calling me.

In all these years, I never bother to get a credit report and I guess I should have. I got my credit report and in 2 of my 3 reports it does show this card under my name. But on my brothers report this card is also under his name in 1 of the reports.

The question is can I call Citibank and explain to them that the whole time, my brother thought this was his card and if I can transfer the account to his name as he was using it the whole time, without me knowing.

Will they settle at a lower price, if I call them? Or is it now in the collection agency's hand?

This is a messed up solution. I have been reading about identity theft but do I want to turn him in, even when he said he is willing to call the company and let them know he thought it was his credit card?

This all fact, I am not trying to cheat anybody, as I have always paid all my credit card bills on time.

Please help me, I am going crazy.

Thanks.

I don't know what other folks will tell you... but in my opinion...

You've got quite a doozy there! If everything you're saying is true to the best of your knowledge, get a good lawyer and see what they can do to help you straighten it out. If there's truly been a case of mistaken identity... then you may be able to fix things... but I don't know what the repercussions to your brother would be... again... talk to a lawyer.

Good luck!

I don't know what other folks will tell you... but in my opinion...

You've got quite a doozy there! If everything you're saying is true to the best of your knowledge, get a good lawyer and see what they can do to help you straighten it out. If there's truly been a case of mistaken identity... then you may be able to fix things... but I don't know what the repercussions to your brother would be... again... talk to a lawyer.

Good luck!