credit card

keanro

I have a credit card debt through Associates/CITI bank that I have not paid on since about 2000 or 2001. The balance is $2066 and is listed as a charge off on my credit report. What is the best and fastest way to get this cleaned up on my credit report? Should I ask for verification or try to settle the acount on the condition that they list it as current while we make payments? I can't afford to pay it all at once but could agree to pay $100 a month. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

keanro

Northland Group currently has it. They have offered to settle for $100 a month payments in the past, but until now I haven't been able to afford that. So far I have not contacted them at all.

I am a total newbie here. How do I go about finding the best way to deal with each company? What is JDB?

thanks

keanro

The debt is toooooo old to do debt validation....your best strategy is NOT to pay it off at this point....The only way to get it removed is if you requested a letter in writing from them stating that if you paid it off "or settled" the account that they would totally remove it from your CR. I would recommend that your try to settle for about 20% of the balance, but be sure that they state they will remove it from your CR in writing via letter to you...then you have litigious back up if they dont..

DocPC is right... The CA is full of bubbles. You need to DV them and IF they come back with proper validation... offer to settle either for deletion or for your account to be marked pain in full. Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing. :) Good Luck! -Jenn

Hey, I had the same card, little less charge off($1800). This is the thing: once I have sent a DV letter, they started reporting this account 120 days late every single month for 2004 and last 2 months, which was killing my scores.Finally I gave up, called them up, settled for 80% of past due and now I'm waiting for a letter stating that I don't owe anything anymore. As soon as I paid, I disputed this tradeline with all cr. beaur. Still waiting for results.Good luck!!!Maybe you'll be more lucky...

sorry, I live in KY. SOL is 5 years, i think, so I have a little more than a year to go. I would like to get this off before that if I can because we are trying to buy a new house. I am also trying to get some other negative things off my report and I was told by our bank that if I could get my score at 640 or over we could get the loan. My current score is 602. If I can do that then I will try to wait out the SOL on this one.

thanks,

keanro