Strategy...

lyrech

First of all, are medical bills considered written contracts, oral contracts or promissory notes? If they are oral contracts, then I have a collection account that will be out of SOL in about 5 months. I was going to DV them, but then I thought maybe I should wait until SOL is up. It would give me more leverage for a pay for delete. Is this the best way to go?

They are considered written contracts only if you agree to pay a set amount prior to services being rendered. Blanket statements that you agree to pay whatever they charge before they provide service are unenforceable. Genrally medicals are considered in the same category as open ended accounts because they are providing the "credit" before the charges are made...Much like having a credit card.

DV is an interresting thing when it comes to medicals. Mainly because a collection agent can't legally get the necessary information to validate the debt. You see there is this little law called HIPPA that forbids physicians from sharing your medical information with third parties. How can a CA obtain an accounting of the debt without listing the services for which you were charged? Simple: They can't...unless the physician violates the law themselves.

How can a CA obtain an accounting of the debt without listing the services for which you were charged? Simple: They can't...unless the physician violates the law themselves.

Actually they could and that was exactly what Chaudhry v Gallerizo was all about, information that was privileged.