CA's feel free to violate - "bona fide error"?

ktg

It's getting ridiculous!!

CA’s feel free to violate hiding behind “bona fide error”.

Just got a call from CA Arrow Financial. I am at work now and got their green card back yesterday! They are trying to propose a “settlement” – ha-ha!

And when I pointed to the rep. that they received my DV few days ago and now, by calling me, they are violating FDCPA, she simply said: “oh, there in no note in your file that we received your letter, there must have been a system error”.

.. Just wanted to share..

Skip tracing.

Give me a few days and I'll be able to post a photo of your house. Information is very easy to obtain these days. There was a post a while back about CA's using pizza orders to track down debtors.

Keep that in mind when you're asked to give personal information. It's so second nature, you may not even know you're doing it.

I went to the auto store and picked up a new battery a couple weeks ago. The clerk asked for my name/address/phone number for the warranty information. I simply said, "I have the receipt. That's my warranty".

I guess they got my work number from previous "collector" (Attorneys office) who also tried to call me at work with their "scare tactics": we are calling from such-and-such law office, bla, bla.. (though "Attorneys" called before they got my DV).

And this Arrow - so sneaky! When I mentioned about "validation", the rep said: "Do you mean you want to get copies of all YOUR statements?"

I recommended her to go read my letter to figure out what I mean.

I wonder how many "bona fide errors" they are allowed to make..

Thanks, DocDon, for the reminder to never give out personal information to ANY business simply "for the record"!

The REAL reason that you are asked for this information at the checkout (or on a warranty card) is to add your "bona fides" to a DATABASE for marketing purposes...nothing more or less.

"Marketing purposes" INCLUDING selling the data to third-parties...including the CA/JDB that may be after you!!! :shock:

Giving out personal information IS NOT REQUIRED BY LAW to complete a sale!! If a business insists on getting the info., take your business elsewhere.

I realize that we all have done this in the past. Unfortunately, with the rising incidences of I.D. Theft (and other legitimate privacy concerns), we CANNOT take chances anymore!!

If it means NOT getting that "50% OFF Sale for our good customers" offer...so be it!! :)

Or, you can just rattle off some fake information. What are they going to do, check? So you gave them a make believe address and fake name. That isn't a crime. When John the bum get spam mail, then they'll figure it out.

From "How to be invisible", the author suggests just having an alternate ID and persona ready.

Also, keep in mind, that even your PURCHASES can be tracked. One reason to pay with cash, not credit cards. They have the time, date, and nature of the transaction available.

Heh, just call your self william johnson from LA or New York. Tell them you are just visiting and don't have a phone in the area or just have a fake number ready to rattle off, maybe the last phone number you had or something. List the empty lot you pass on the way to work as your address.