Charge-off not removed

thejoshua

There is still a charge off on my credit report from something I paid off one year ago. The Agency agreed to make it "paid in full" and when I called today they said "we have never changed a charge-off to paid in full". The lady I spoke to was extremely ruse and told me she had no manager and hung up on me. I feel like they are taking advantage of me for being young and not knowing mch about my credit to begin with. I moved to the US from Germany and although I changed my address I never received my bills. I had to call everyday to get my bill, and I never received them. The only thing I received was a collections notice, and then I paid it in full. I never got anything in writing, becuase like I said I don't really understand credit. So is there anything I can do, or am i Screwed?

IMHO, the answer to this will depend a lot on whether the OC still owned the debt or had sold it to the CA before you paid it. I'd suggest a nice letter to the executive offices of the OC explaining that you didn't get bills but once you became aware of the problem you paid it immediately and asking if they would please correct your credit report...

...but, since you didn't get it in writing that they were going to make it 'paid in full', you are probably screwed. A lot of creditors will say something on the phone and then never carry through with it.

If they don't change it, then you may just have to try to dispute it every few months with the CRA. As time goes by, you might get lucky and get it deleted.