Jump to content

broken lease in collections

Recommended Posts

I have a lease I broke a few years ago. The CA has the price I owe at 3800. I had 6 monthes left at $635 a month. Which is like $3810. Now they call and say if I dont pay 1800 to settle by MON they will take it to court. I found this law and I want to know how I can find out the info:

What is the responsibility of the landlord if I move out?

The landlord has the legal responsibility to try and re-rent the property as quickly as possible. In other words, the landlord cannot leave the apartment vacant until your lease expires without trying to re-rent it, and then try to hold you responsible for rent for that entire period.

Can I just go to the apartment and get that info from them? Do I need a lawyer to go there and get it? What if they rented out another apartment and left mine vacant? Does anyone know have any ideas how I should go about it to be sure they didnt rent it out earlier or leave it vacant? Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way to handle this one is to in all honesty.. send them a DV letter.

They are going to be held to the same standards of proof as if this was a medical bill.

Now you must do this soon.

In your DV change the wording to this::

Please provide the date that the apartment was rented after vacancy and for how long apartment was left vacant.

This makes them prove that they rented the apartment. If they take you to small claims then you can say that they "failed to mitigate their own damages" by not renting out the apartment referring BACK to that piece of law that you stated.

There are a lot of ways to go about getting this one taken care of. Hope that helped a little

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depending on how cooperative your public utility company is, you can request a history of average usage on a particular address. This is a usual request by people that are looking to rent or buy a residence.

I've done it before several moves in the past. By requesting the history, you get an idea if the place is energy effiecient, or a money pit for energy.

If you can get the trending since you vacted the apartment, you'll see when the new tennant moved in. If the bill reverted back to the landlord after you moved out, the bill will be minimal during the time it as vacant. Then, you'll see a higher demand in the month the new tennant moved it.

Just go to your utility company and tell them you would like the average usage history since the time you left the apartment. Don't tell them who you are or that you once lived there. Just tell them you are thinking about renting that place and want to see the average cost of electricity.

You can also got to your public library and get the City Cross Reference. They are usually at the reference desk or the reference section of the library. In it, is the cross references of addresses and phone numbers of residents throughout the city. The library's usually keep them for a few years then toss them. Look up the address and see if there was a new resident at your old address. See if there was a phone number associated with that tennant. Chances are, even if they moved out, they may have transferred the phone number with them. Call the number and ask what you want.

Another little trick would be with the post office. If your complex had individual lock mailboxes, the post office is responsible to change the key to the mail box when the new tennant moved in. They would have a log of changed locks and could probably give you the date they changed it.

Just some ideas if the former landlord isn't forthcoming with the truth and the present residient wasn't the one who moved in after you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.