Reinsertion With New Account Number

Spiderella

Hey guys,

I'm dealing with a TU OC charge-off reinsertion. In June of last year TU deleted the account, but in November it showed back up on my report. I disputed it with a copy of their deletion report; they responded a month later with a"verified, no change" ... didn't bother addressing the fact that they had previously deleted it. Now the account number has magically changed and so has the balance by one dollar.

I called TU and spoke to a rude guy with choppy English. He said he would dispute it as a duplicate, but I don't expect much to happen.

Do I have any legal recourse? What is my next move?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

So is it illegal for the OC to change the account number? If so, how do I fight it with them?

I just called TU to see if I could convince them to delete it, but I got the "if the OC reports it as correct, then we have to report it". She suggested I call the OC and claim it is a fraudelent account (because that is what I was claiming to her), but the reality of the situation is, it is a valid CO. It infuriates me that this was already deleted and now this new account number is causing all kind of misery.

Another option would be to pay the balance owing; it is only $327. I've contacted the OC with a 'pay for delete' letter, but they refuse. If I can't get the TL deleted, will it help my score to have a paid collection vs a CO?

Any further thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Changing the account number on a charge-off is a common tactic of re-aging. With the new number they claim a new starting date on the account. In turn this makes it stay on your report longer.

As for how to deal with it; that depends...if this was a credit card, then changing the number was illegal and violates the credit practices rule. They can only change account numbers on revolving accounts if the account is in good standing. (Section 226.12 of the Truth in Lending Act)

Changing the account number on a charge-off is a common tactic of re-aging. With the new number they claim a new starting date on the account. In turn this makes it stay on your report longer.

As for how to deal with it; that depends...if this was a credit card, then changing the number was illegal and violates the credit practices rule. They can only change account numbers on revolving accounts if the account is in good standing. (Section 226.12 of the Truth in Lending Act)

The trade line is for Mervyn's store card. Does that qualify as a credit card? If so, what is my first move for hammering them?

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm lost. Do I contact Mervyn's? If so, do I call them on the phone or send a letter? If they have broken the law by changing the account number, how do I go about demanding that they pull the TL? If they refuse, what are my options? Thanks!

Good news! I called Mervyn's today and told me that the TL had been deleted on April 15 because it couldn't be verified. I call TU to confirm the deletion and talked to a nice young man who said that it was still there but he'd take care of it. When I pulled PG 30 minutes later, the TL was gone and my score jumped 17 points!

Time to revise my FAKO signature! TU is now 628!

:BigDance: