Validation letter question

I pulled the validation letter off of the website and I'm wondering; I am way out of the 30 day window, so should I delete the part in the letter where it says you must cease all collection activity within the 30 day window? It doesn't count now because I didn't validate within the intitial 30 days of receiving first written notice. Thanks.

IMHO, the letter on validation doesn't actually specifically address the "dispute within 30 days" sentence in the FDCPA. It does mention 30 days, but in a lot of difference contexts.

I'd suggest you send it just as written. You'll find that most CAs fall into one of the following categories:

1. Looking for easy pickings. Usually, these are those that are "assigned" by the OC to collect the debt. They get paid by the hour and really don't care whether you pay or not. DV them and they'll tell the OC...oh well, we tried.

2. Intimidators. These guys may be working on commission, so they tend to be a little tougher. They'll bend the FDCPA a little farther but again, its too much work for them to validate, so they'll just hand it back to the OC.

3. Junk Debt Buyers. And these are either looking for easy pickings (they only need about 10% of the debts they buy to make a lot of money) or they are really hungry and will ignore your DV anyway.

Bottom line...the DV process has two purposes. Make them prove they've got the right person, the right account, the right amount, and the right to collect BEFORE you hand over any money. Or, buy time. Either way, this letter works....

I hope you're right. I DVed some ID theft TL's from '99 and the 30 day window expires in 3 weeks. I'll let you know what happens. So far all I have gotten is a letter stating they need the full account numbers to which I replied I don't have those numbers, you should have them since you're reporting the TL's. that's as far as it has gotten.

You want to know something, I don't buy the whole "we have your name, account number, and address" thing as validation. I had somebody go into a vet clinic and get medical treatment for their dog. They left my name and address...just for kicks, I never received any letters for collection because I was deployed overseas. I found out about all this after I got back. Lucky I had earth-shattering proof that I never could have done this because I was outside the continental U.S. I think there should be way more proof behind a validation than digits. I want signatures, contracts, video, etc. Could you imagine how much trouble I would be having with this vet clinic and their dirtbag CA if I didn't have such outstanding proof it wasn't me? I think the deck is still stacked in OC's favor. I overpaid my phone bill last month, I should send a collection notice to Verizon and wait for them to request validation...dirtbags.