i was served on friday!

Hi all.....Friday morning on my way out to work I found a random paper wedged in my door and it was a summons. I was never handed this paper at all and it was dated February 7, 2005 and Friday was March 18th. It told me that I had 30 days from February 7th to answer the summons but they didn't serve me until March 18th. Shouldn't this be in violation of some law???? By the way I DVed the lawyer which is also a CA and they didn't give me all the proper documentation necessary for them to validate that I in fact owed them anything. I don't know what to do now....

HELP PLEASE!!

Call the court quickly and file to have any default judgment they may have thrown out. Depending on your state there are rules of service. Find out if they served you properly 1st. Make sure you indicate the time/date and conditions you were served in your motion to vacate the judgment. Also see if you can file an answer and a counterclaim that they continued collection without validation (FDCPA violation!!) Maybe be a complete pain in the lawyrs behind by also filing a complaint with the state bar if you find out that you were served improperly! I would get a lawyer to work on this if you can find one that will help you.

You sure can, if you find out they didn't serve you properly, it won't be very difficult. If they know you are aware that they served improperly and you are going to fight them (be a huge and costly litigant), they will usually back off. Make sure you read old threads (use the search function) & ask specific questions when you need help! Good luck!