Tricky Collectors..

gumshoe

• 4 weeks later...

After reading what is written on these boards and the articles about caller-id spoofing, I have become ultra-paranoid! Yesterday, I received a call from Comcast. They said they were going to send out a trial version of their channel guidebook for me to look at. Then she said, "Ok, while I have you on the phone, I would like to update your personal information." I told her, "You know what, I really have to get going, I am late for a meeting." It probably really was Comcast, but I did not want to take any chances!

After reading what is written on these boards and the articles about caller-id spoofing, I have become ultra-paranoid! Yesterday, I received a call from Comcast. They said they were going to send out a trial version of their channel guidebook for me to look at. Then she said, "Ok, while I have you on the phone, I would like to update your personal information." I told her, "You know what, I really have to get going, I am late for a meeting." It probably really was Comcast, but I did not want to take any chances!

You're not the only one. My normal response to the "we'd like to update your info" comment is that I'll call them back and then update the info. At least that way I know I'm calling a legit business.

I think so..... I think it would fall under:

(14) The use of any business, company, or organization name other than the true name of the debt collector's business, company, or organization

But the problem is......prove it. How can you prove that it was *that* caller-id that appeared when they called?

I think so..... I think it would fall under:

(14) The use of any business, company, or organization name other than the true name of the debt collector's business, company, or organization

But the problem is......prove it. How can you prove that it was *that* caller-id that appeared when they called?

The only way that I can think of to "prove" it was the Caller ID at the time of the call would be to photograph the Caller ID display AND document the call thoroughly! If the common info. matched...voila!!