kjunior

allied interstate/bmg

Good morning everyone

I got a call from allied interstate yesterday, automated machine saying to call their company with no number to call. i went online to get their number. i called 3 different numbers to find out what this was, a lady came to the phone saying this is a bmg music collection for like $50 and some change. i told them i never had an account with BMG. the lady said that this is allied in india. she said fax a letter saying i never had the account with BMG b/c india is far away along with high charges to even call them.

i did indeed have an account many years ago, but should i just fax a dv letter or not my account letter? how can bmg or ca verify?

Hi there,

Firstly, I probably wouldn't have called...because the fact that they didn't even leave a number would've sent off some alarm bells...but now that you did and now that you spoke to someone wait five days because they're suppose to send you (via snail mail!) a formal letter explaining the debt and it should have info on where to contact them. WHEN you get that, send them a DV and you may want to include a partial cease and desist requesting that they contact you in writing ONLY.

My personal guess is that this is a junk debt buyer in that they attempt to collect long outdated debts even though they're probably past the legal statute of limitations. If it's been "several years" since you had this account and this is the first you ever heard regarding it then I'd wager to guess it's no bother. Have you checked your credit reports? Is anyone reporting it? I just have a feeling that they aren't on the level...they may not even have legal authority to collect here in the states...then again, maybe only the person responsible for CALLING was from India and the company itself has some base here. DO NOT send them money, DO NOT agree to send them money and give them NO information on yourself. If they should call again, do not call back. Wait to get something in the mail...I think they're fraudulent myself.

If they keep calling you, then do go ahead and send the DV and C&D of course.

Sorry--those are my best ideas, but I'm sure someone else will have something much better for ya.

Good luck hon.

E~

Thanks fo your advice.

they did call again this morning. i will wait 5 days and fax dv and c&d letter. they are not reporting anything as of yet to the bureau's, but i know many people have problems with getting them off once they do report.

Allied is a JDB. If the account you had is more than 3 years old, just send them a full C&D telling them to close, delete (if reported), agree to never sell, transfer, or reassign to anyone else and go eat Maggot Droppings. Be sure and tell them you are aware the debt is timebarred and they have no legal recourse to the debt. Therefore, they must postmark their response stating they are complying within 5 days of receipt of your letter, or you will sue them. In the meantime, keep track of their messages, including date, time, and verbiage. Also, while fresh in your mind, write down the conversaton you had and all other related info. This way, if they fail to comply, as they more than likely will, you will already have your ammo. Then, you would send them a followup letter showing all of the violations, etc. Plus, you will include a filled out copy of your claim from your court. Do not file, only send a copy to demonstrate you are not fooling with them.

If you are not sure of the DOLA, then check your CR's, if reported, to find it. Or, you could, perish the thought, call and ask them just how old the debt is. Since you already claimed it as not yours, your call would simply be to support your claim as you will tell them you have double checked your records for the past two years or so and were unable to locate any reference, but, to cover all possibilites, you decided to check back to be assured you went far enough back in your records. This should cause them to give you the date. Once you have that, then send your letter off.