Been_Ponzied

Disputing after getting a free, once-a-year report

Experian won't allow me to dispute online with my new, once-a-year free report. Wonder of all wonders! They always want to do everything online but now....why this? Has anyone been able to dispute online after getting your free report with one of the CAs?

I just got my free reports round about a month ago, and have disputed several things with Experian. You need the report number that is at the top of your report. You cannot dispute online with them if you don't have a report number. Anyways, that has been my experience with Experian. As far as I know, TU is the only one who accepts online disputes without a report/file number.

I just got my free reports round about a month ago, and have disputed several things with Experian. You need the report number that is at the top of your report. You cannot dispute online with them if you don't have a report number. Anyways, that has been my experience with Experian. As far as I know, TU is the only one who accepts online disputes without a report/file number.

I know that you need a report number. It's just that with this free report and number, I only get a screen saying that if I want to dispute, I have to contact them by mail/phone. I'm shocked that they let you dispute with a free report number.

Also, you say "reports"? I thought you were only allowed one report from one company per year.

i get my experian reports free for a year with this 'credit expert' thing bc i have microsof tmoney, they wont let me use the online dispute form either. it always gives me an error screen and tells me to call or mail.

>>i get my experian reports free for a year with this 'credit expert' thing bc i have microsof tmoney, they wont let me use the online dispute form either. it always gives me an error screen and tells me to call or mail<<

Well then something's goofy with them. Maybe someone here will end up sorting it out.

My advice is to ALWAYS dispute a CRA using CMRRR.

It's too easy for a CRA to say they never received your electronic dispute, there was a computer error, etc.

In this day and age of technology, do it the old fashioned way: in writing.

>>My advice is to ALWAYS dispute a CRA using CMRRR.

It's too easy for a CRA to say they never received your electronic dispute, there was a computer error, etc.

In this day and age of technology, do it the old fashioned way: in writing. <<

Thanks for responding. That's good to know what you think, and I may end up feeling the same way, but at least I know that the online way gives you a Report Number. The Report Number seems to be the magic ticket you can use to do more on your file, even if you change methods and start doing it by mail. Always use that Report Number.

Experian won't allow me to dispute online with my new, once-a-year free report. Wonder of all wonders! They always want to do everything online but now....why this? Has anyone been able to dispute online after getting your free report with one of the CAs?

It has been years since I have paid for a credit report.

I always get them free and I will never do the "once-a-year free report" because I get free ones that come directly from each CRA stuffed in my private mailbox all the time.

Why wait an entire year for a "free" credit report or finance jet fuel for a CRA's CEO's corporate jet when you buy a report.

Excuse me? What are you talking about, you get them stuffed in your mail all the time?

I know that you can get a free report every time you are turned down for credit, but you can't do it that way online.

Also, I found out that, at least Experian, TAKES A LOT LONGER to handle disputes on the FREE once-a-year credit reports! They even admit it on their website! This is discrimination and should be reported to the FTC. In fact, they should be sued for doing this. I don't imagine that many people will take the time to notice or bother with it though.

The 45 days I believe is to accomodate them being swamped with disputes as eveyone is now allowed a free annual credit report from the big three.. it is part of the FACTA so I don't think a complaint to the FTC will do much... but.. ya never know :)

It is really easy to get free credit reports other ways though. Do search and you will find lotsa good stuff on that :D

Good Luck -Jenn