SOL applies to...

CreditSuperstar

Question:

When we are talking about a debt being beyond SOL, are we talking about the state where the debt was originally incurred or the state of current residence?

For example, my state (Connecticut) has a 6 year SOL, however Rhode Island has a 10 year SOL.

I incurred a debt in RI in 1998 and am wondering if this company would still be able to sue me over it. It is my impression that it is the state the debt was originally incurred.

Thanks for any reply-

FCS

I just read this...maybe I answered my own question...

Know the statute of limitations. If you racked up a debt in another state, you might want to check the statute of limitations there as well. But generally, it’s the statute of your current state that applies. If the statute has expired, the collection agencies’ legal remedies are limited.

Yes Gadsby-

You are right obviously. Still working on setting the mental clock forward...lol.

OKay, this was a utility bill from 1998. DOLA was 11-98-checking to be sure. This OC and their CA have so many violations it's not funny.

not listing account in dispute-not being licensed to collect in CT- not validating the debt...etc...

Thx for your help

however Rhode Island has a 10 year SOL.

NO, it does NOT. Here's what WhyChat discovered about RI's SOL :

http://community-2.webtv.net/Y-Chat/WhyChatsCredit/page40.html

SOL of 10 years is for 'Breach of Warranty' - that has NOTHING to do with an open-ended plan (ie credit card).

WhyChat's info says SOL on credit cards is 4 years - a far cry from the 10 that's been bandied about.