Asset Acceptance Question

rising_score

I get letters from Asset Acceptance approx. every other month asking for payment on an old account that I believe is at least a year past the SOL in my state (5 yrs). I pulled all 3 of my credit reports, and none of them have any record of this account that Asset is trying to collect for. Should I verify with the original creditor the date of last activity, (just to have proof of the date of last activity) and then tell Asset they are past the SOL and ask them to stop contacting me? Any other tips on dealing with Asset?

I am new at this, and have been reading the boards, but I still have alot to learn!

If there's no trace of the original creditor on ANY of your reports, then its probably aged off, meaning its older than 7 years and well past your state's SOL.

ASSet will respond with garbage if you DV them. You're better off just tell them to take a flying leap, the debt is time-barred.

If there's no trace of the original creditor on ANY of your reports, then its probably aged off, meaning its older than 7 years and well past your state's SOL.

ASSet will respond with garbage if you DV them. You're better off just tell them to take a flying leap, the debt is time-barred.

There is absolutely no trace of the original creditor on ANY of my reports. There is no trace of anything from Asset on my reports either. So seriously, what is the best way to stop the occasional letters and phone calls (I get one about every other month)? Should I write a cease and desist letter?

By the way, I was going over the letters I have received from them, and one talks about their "opt-out" policy! They claim that if you want to "opt-out" of disclosures to nonaffilated 3rd parties to call their toll free number or fill out and return a form with your name, address, phone #! I wonder how many people they get to fall for that one!