Unknown CBR activity under public records

exwifeblues

I'm new at this and need some guidance. Any help would be much appreciated. Got an alert from Credit Manager that there was new item to view on my CBR. (Trying to monitor after nasty, long divorce from 97-99 reaked havock on my finances AND my score.) Said it was a public record item that reports opened in Jan 2005, terms 1 month, for $822 and I have NO IDEA what this is. Posted by Asset Acceptance Corp. Did not specify what the public record business is all about. Does this mean it's a judgment? or are Charge Offs public record?

I suppose DV is my first move, but should I be doing anything simultaneously? (I've printed pages and pages to read, haven't gotten to them yet, so the answer may be obvious - if so, sorry.)

In addition, there is incorrect information including my birthdate, current address, old address (which is my ex's current address) and several accounts reporting that are his. At present, his accounts are reporting current, but I don't like the risk of being reported on his activity.

Only checked Experian so far. Plan to pull all three reports (not the 3-in-1 so that I am sure to get all the information).

My short term home loan is up next year. Had to get a guarantor after the divorce to provide a home for the kids, and would like to get a real mortgage on my own by the time this one matures (if not sooner to take advantage of lower interest rates). My score on Experian is 587. :cry:

Several collection accounts from the divorce. What does ND stand for? Only one old debt from divorce settlement that is still listed by OC, the rest are CA accounts. Most of the old debt was charged off in 1998 or 1999.

Recent history that is truly mine, is all current and satisfactory.

Help?

Thanks!

I would leave the ex's accounts on there, if they are showing paid. THey are helping you. If they go bad, THEN you can worry about them.

Divorce settlements do not remove your obligation to pay. The judge can order one of you to pay, but that is not binding on the creditor, and it shouldn't be. In order for a decision to be fair all affected parties should have the opportunity to appear in court.

You wouldn't want a court making decisions about you, if you weren't there, would you? Same thing.

On to the CA's. First, get a 3 in 1 report with real FICO scores. That will run about $35. I know it is expensive, but you won't do it often. This way, you will know your real scores and where you stand. Then follow the steps in this thread:

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24558

That should get you started, good luck!!

ND= No Data (it means no payment history)

You can only be held responsible for debts while you were married...and you never know, he may still be using your info without your knowledge or it sould be something well outside the SoL that both your names were on.

Thanks! Since the notice of item on report was listed as a public record, does that mean it's a judgment? Wouldn't I have been contacted before it got to that point? No clue what the $822 is, does not resemble any balances at time of divorce, unles a little 2-300 balance has accured charges up to $822?!

I agree about courts making decisions without all parties being involved. In fact, Providian sued right after divorce and I consulted an attorney but responded to suit as my own counsel. It was a questionaire for discovery. Included in my response were violations of Fair Credit collection efforts (threats and calling at work threatening to call until I lost my job, etc.) In addition, my initial application was for payoff of other cards and stipulated on my application that I did not want the credit unless ALL cards listed were paid off, otherwise was not interested. They paid off one (transferring debt to Providian) and sent me a card.

Regardless, I NEVER got any response from the court except notice of judgement awarded. Thought that I would have been notified about further proceedings before it came to that. Anyone know how that is supposed to work?

Thanks again.

This 'public record' is a nasty tactic by ASSet Acceptance to REALLY screw with people. Unless you've been sued by these dirtbags and already lost a lawsuit, then they are reporting INACCURATE information, and doing it DELIBERATELY.

You really need to dispute that, its completely bogus. If you'd been sued, you would probably know about it. Call the courthouse in your area just in case, but I'll bet you there are NO judgments on file in any courthouse !

Forgot yo include that I am in Texas.

Does anyone know the recording laws for Texas? I'm ready to get down to business with these guys.

(1) Inaccurate reporting - opened account in 01/2005, 1 month term?

(2) No idea what $822 is for.

(3) No notice served to me, no letter, no phone call, nothing!

(4) If it is truly my debt, it is from pre-divorce and is time-barred. I have paid everything per terms since my divorce.

I guess it doesn't ever occur to these guys to follow the law.

THANKS ALL!!

Exwife,

Texas is a one party recording state. Plug your recorder in, hit play and record, and record all you want as long as one of you are privy to this fact. DO NOT tell them you are recording. Don't say anything. Just go ahead with business as usual. If they call you, then make up some excuse or just tell them to hold on as you start your recorder. Then make sure to get the agent's name and who they work for on tape. Try to get the date/time of day as well.

While it's not good, 612 FICO beats the 587 on Experian.

Pulled 3-in-1 from Equifax. Found multiple errors and also discrepancies between the 3 agencies.

Reaging was all over the place!!

Hopefully, with your expert guidance, I can get some of these taken care of. The 7 years on most will be up this year except, with the reaging, that won't be the case. Luckily, I never throw anything away. This will be one time that packrat comes in handy. I have all my records from 97 forward (at least) showing when payments were made. The trick is, going through the boxes to find them....but I'm determined. That way, if DV is unsuccessful, I can fire back with documentation. Hoping I won't have to dig through the boxes. They are marked "Big D" for divorce and I hate to delve through all of that stuff.

Which CRA reports a Beacon Score?

Thanks for everything guys! It's time to buy a recording device. Anyone know best place to buy?

If it's Asset reporting to the public record, then send a DV notice to them demanding a copy of the judgment. The FDCPA gives you the right to do so in plain text. If they can't produce one, then play whack-a-mole with their brainless little skulls. If they do produce one, check it out to see if it's real...if not, play whack-a-mole.

If it does turn out to be a real judgment, file to have it vacated for lack of proper service.

I noticed on CBR that Asset pulled an inquiry in February (then reported open account 1/2005, CO and Judgment 3/2005). They used a five year old address and changed my reported address on CBR. If they tried to serve there, I obviously wouldn't have been there. Plus, their use of this address is further indication that this is an old record from the divorce that is past SOL. Besides that, CRA had my current address listed so they didn't try very hard to find me...if at all. As mentioned previously, no calls, no letters, nothing...just the stunt on CBR. :evil:

If account "truly" opened for CA (Asset) in January 2005 (date they purchased debt), wouldn't they have to show delinquent/or attempts to collect for 180 days before "they" charged it off to their profit and loss? Does that rule apply to CA's?

In any case, don't think they could possibly have gotten a judge to grant judgment if they used the same information as they reported to CRA. And if they used different information for judge, then they did not report "complete and accurate" information to CRA.

Thoughts anyone?