resident agent info

I just have a quick question. I am unable to find a registered agent in California (where I live) for a CA attempting to collect a small alleged medical debt (which I don't owe). This agency is also in California.

I am correct in thinking that they MUST have a registered agent listed in California, right? I entered their name every which way possible and couldn't find one.

Well they might not be. But on the same token, you might just be looking under the wrong name.

Take MEDCLR for example...I don't know of any states they have an RA in....because they aren't registered as MEDCLR, they're registered as NCO Financial Systems (parent company). Same goes for all of NCO's other subsidiaries (Marlin, RMH, etc.)

Bump for answer....... is it illegal NOT to have a registered agent in California if doing business in California?

It is my understanding that it wouldn't matter if I live in California and they are based here, if suing a company you must have the summons delivered to the registered agent, therefore they must have one.