Chase "pre-approved" Platinum Visa offer, for real

I got a "pre-approved" offer from them, but it's the one where you still

have to apply. I bk'd on them in 2003, why would they send this?

( I opted out recently, so this should be the last) There's no way

in hell they're gonna give me a card right?

The CC mailings is a mass-marketing technique. Cap1 is notorious for this. It has nothing to do with your credit.

The "based on your credit we're pleased to offer you a chance to..." that's printed on every letter is BS. They never saw your credit. That's why it says "up to $10,000 line of credit" - then in the very, very small print on the reverse side say they'll have to check your credit first.

There's a philosophy certain credit card issuers have. Throw enough **** against the wall, and something is bound to stick. I've only ever gotten one true "pre-approval" credit card offer, and that was for my Amex Centurion card...which you can't apply for.

The rest is just mass mailing garbage.

• 3 weeks later...
I got several back in the day. I didn't even need to fill out my SSN just sign, date, and return. That's when Chase, Crap 1, Discover, and Citibank still liked me.

Yeah I used to get those as well, but that was about 10 + years ago.