Any experience with AG's?

krisb74

As I had posted previously, we have been contacted by Atlantic Credit CA about a supposed acct, we sent a validation letter and limited contact letter last week on this. We started to receive calls this weekend daily, yesterday I answered and it was them again, I just stated that we had sent correspondence in the mail and was preparing to hang up when she said, we don't accept mail, we've had some suspicious mail, etc. I laughed and said I dont believe that you can't receive mail. She kept babbling about it, I said well if my mail comes back returned I'll contact your state's AG to see about that. We kinda went around on this stupid subject and then I said again that we had sent mail correspondence so thanks and goodbye and she said oh no, we'll call tomorrow too. I also again told her that we hadn't received anything in writing, she said she could email it to me, so i gave her my junk email addy and the letter came over stating they had purchased this acct, blah blah. I want to file a complaint with the Virginia AG but I also want to see if they can really validate this. Could anyone tell me what the AG does for these kind of things? Will they just get a slap on the wrist and warned? I'm kinda nervous about starting some kind of match with them, I'm not as sure of the laws etc as most of you are and I dont want to get myself into more trouble! :? Thanks for the advice!

Kris

It probably won't benefit YOU directly, but it could spark an investigation on the AG's office that could keep their evil ways away from the rest of the public. It is worth doing, and is always a nice basebat ball to keep in your arsenal of followed-through threats. Same thing for reporting the to the FTC.

As we've seen lately, some state's AG's office and the FTC has pulled off a number of successful high profile lawsuits against CRAs and CAs.

i'm still trying to understand most of this, this board is most helpful! I cannot find anything that relates to how they can contact if they don't really own the debt? Like this one is not reporting anywhere on our CR. The only thing it shows is the OC (Citibank/Gordons) with a c/o and closed acct. No CA listed on any of the 3. If they cannot properly validate how are they allowed to contact me? This just is confusing to me...

Kris

Within 5 days of first contact they must send you a notification of your rights if they did not give them to you in that first phone call. If they refuse your letter, just put it away in your file so the judge can open it if it gets that far. If it does come back consider sending it via FedEx, people tend to sign for those very quickly.

I am betting that almost any judge would find them in gross willful non-compliance if they refused mail since the FDCPA says that is how consumers are supposed to be given the validation request.

nope, nothing said on the phone about being a debt collector etc. and nothing in writing other than the emailed letter we received and all that states is that they bought the debt and they want to settle etc. oh, at the very bottom of the page across the bottom it states this is an attempt to collect blah blah. Is this considered notification of rights?

Did you send your letter certified and if so did they refuse it or what happened to it?

They can bs you all they want. The fact is that you sent your timely (yes?) request to them and they are continuing collection activity by calling, period.. end of story. If they haven't provided you with the validation you requested then they cannot contact you. It is continuing collection activity it is a violation. All you have to do is prove you sent it, if they are so ridulous as to not accept mail then that will only work in your favor.

How do they expect people to pay them if they can't send in checks? They can't possibly expect everyone to use check by phone... anyway they sound like a bunch of idiots. Keep track of their violations.

yes, we sent it certified, only last week so haven't gotten anything back yet. Actually they contacted us some time ago by phone of course, i told them they needed to show me something in writing, never saw it. They started calling again lately and that's when we sent out the DV. I'm in IA, i'm not sure about the laws on recording here, I'll have to check into it. They called again tonite, we didnt answer and they left a msg this time. ugh.