JK Harris & Co--Scam or Legit??

I received a letter from JH Harris & Co. (Financial Recovery Services) offering to help me with a judgement from a CC company. I didn't have much to lose so I set up an appt to go see this guy (his name is John Crook; ironic?). I told him that I have a total of 3 judgements against me from 3 different CC companies and asked him what they could do to help me. He said in exchange for $1090 (payable in installments over 12 months) they would negotiate on my behalf, pull my credit reports, clean up my credit, advise me, etc. and get these judgements settled. He seemed more eager to get me signed up (I would need to put $250 down) than explaining the program to me. I told him I would have to think about it. Prior to our meeting I got online and found some complaints about this company. So, anybody had any dealings with this company? If so, can you share results, thoughts, etc? It didn't seem like they were offering me anything I couldn't do on my own. I just didn't know if this company or some other "debt settlement" company has any special pull with some CC companies. Thanks for any and all replies!!!!

I was served properly. I've been battling this for about a year and a half. I did read the contract, but did not sign it. It gives them "limited power of attorney" to pull my credit reports and act on my behalf in negotiating with these CC companies. I read some complaints online from people who said they (JK Harris) didn't follow through on their promises and left them hanging, wouldn't return phone calls, never available, etc. So even if I were to sign a contract, it doesn't sound like these guys abide by it all the time.

Taken from the Credit Repair Organizations Act:

(B) Payment in Advance.--No credit repair organization may charge or receive any money or other valuable consideration for the performance of any service which the credit repair organization has agreed to perform for any consumer before such service is fully performed.

I don't know as if I'd do business with a company that itself violates federal law...

I do know that as of last year (almost exactly one year) JKH was being sued by the Conneticut AG for exactly the type of letter you received. I received one as well and my atty wanted it for a class action in IL.

You may have other problems, but that letter alone will get you some $$ that you could use toward your present situation. Get a lawyer to help you.

Stay away from JKH.