Student Loan Question: Sued by University

opensesame

A judgement was made against me for a Perkins Loan from the University I attended a while back..While this is the only student loan I have ever defaulted on, the rest of my loans are in the process of being consolidated.. The loan itself was $3000 but with collection costs and attorney fees it comes to $4660. So, my question is, can this loan that's now in default be consolidated as well and if so, how would that go about being done?..

It is much more difficult and sometimes impossible to consolidate a loan that is a now a judgement account. The judgement has to be released to be consolidated and the university is under no legal obligation to do so. I heard of one case where I worked that in order to release it, the student had to pay the attorneys fees upfront because they could not be consolidated and no discount was given on the collection costs.