Tuition/University Question

opensesame

Hello guys, it's me again. I'm not too sure how many people have had this problem with a university or not. The other day I got a call from the collection agency about tuition that I do owe my old school. However, during the course of the conversation the lady said to me: the school "perhaps fronted" me this money to pay for the remaining cost of my tuition. Although I do owe the school, I challenged her on the presumption they ( Loyola University) loaned me money to help pay for the remaining of my tuition.

To my knowledge, when someone "fronts" you something that's a loan. When I confronted her about this, she continued to say "this is money the school loaned you". I never signed for such thing and told her so.

I only got a partial loan that semester and it wasn't for 4000 bucks ( which is the amount i owe the school). Tuition I thought and I'm pretty sure, is classes.

In fact it was only 2 classes I enrolled for that spring semester. At the time I was living on campus but had a stipened that covered my room because I worked for housing. So my question is, can I get something in writing and how do I go about doing it? I do want to clear my debt with the school because they are holding transcripts.

thanks,

greg.

I would ignore the collection agencies verbage. No one "fronted" you money, you simply have a remaining tuition balance on your student account. In some cases schools including Loyola will involuntary withdraw you from classes if you have not paid your tuition by a certain date, but will hold an account pending financial aid. Maybe that is where this collector is getting her wording from.

PS...when I worked Loyola tuition accounts as a collector, collection costs where 33%. It was not impossilbe to get that entire 33% dropped, however the average figure I did was 20-25% of the collectin costs.