People don't know how reporting works

I called CITI financial this morning.

In my quest to reduce my utilization, I sent them a check in March for $2805 to pay off my furniture store card. It now has a $0 balance. Yet another card is paid off. Good news, right?

Wrong. Instead of updating, the TL was deleted from all 3 CRA's. So I call this morning to ask how I can get them to report it again. The CSR insists that no item can ever be deleted from your credit. Once it is on there, it is on there. Therefore, it is impossible that they deleted this tradeline, because it can't be deleted. No tradeline can. She said by law all companies have to report all credit dealings to the CRA and once it is on there, by law, it cannot come off.

I tried and I tried to explain to them that she was mistaken, but to no avail. If the creditors do not understand the credit process, how can we be expected to?

Dive, I couldn't agree more. I was tipped off to how little banking and credit card company employees know about 2 months ago. You should have heard the variety of ridiculous answers and "explanations" I received from the credit card companies when I was being added as an AU. And surprisingly, the bank employees were even worse when I asked them a loan question.

The worst part is that they are clueless and give completely inaccurate info. Then when you attempt to set them straight, they talk down to you and insist that "it is the law".

Dive,

You should have heard the utility company's reps repeating over and over the hard inq on my credit report is a soft one. CSR's are idiots, and their managers usually are no better. Heh, you should have asked which law states that you have to report to the CB's.

One thing to note, there probably are only 2 or 3 people at citi that deal with credit reporting, you just have to keep asking and wading through the BS to get to the management/executive level where these people are.