what can i do about this?

pinkglass

i have a ca for a medical bill. it should not have been sent to collections as i have been paying regularly. so i called the oc and they said it was their mistake and they would remove it from collections. i called two weeks later because it still showed on my cr with a different balance than is owed. i called again today over a week later to see why it is still on my cr. the oc said that they did remove it from collections and that i owed a little more than i know i do, i asked them why this is and apparently the ca is keeping my money from the last two months. anyways on my cr it says collection acct as of 12/04 and then im ok unitl 3/05. well my question is they said they gave the acct back to the oc in february but they obviously didnt give my money to them and after they gave the acct back they reported me to the cb as in collections, isnt this illegal? i told the woman on the phone it was and to fix it or i would sue them. she just sighed like i was getting on her nerves and hung up on me.

OK here's the thing the OC told you that they were recalling or withdrawing the debt from collections correct? !!! GET THAT IN WRITING. Insist on it. You'll probably do better to use sugar or at least calm and effective communication when dealing with the OC. As apposed to the nutcase tactics some use of threats and ranting.

Next, you had been paying on it regularly and the OC agreed that it should not have gone to collections; therefore you need to dispute the debt and see if the CA verifies the debt, meanwhile you can send a DV letter to the CA. You may also want to include with a DV letter that the OC has informed you that they have with drawn the debt from collections and it should not have been sent to collections, maybe get that letter first. Also by law they cannot keep your money as you mentioned raising the amount of what is owed they simply collect for the OC and take a small commission percentage, since it should not have been sent to collections that’s really on the responsibility of the OC to eat that commission, and you may want to start tactfully telling them that after you get that letter of course.