Is Sherman getting desperate?

Husker

The last month or so I have received 2 different settlement offers in the mail from Capital Management/Sherman. The first offer a month ago, was to settle for approx. $1000 in 2 payments. The second offer, last week, was to settle for approx. $900 in 3 payments.

Sherman has had this debt going on 2 yrs in June from Sears. I have never been in contact with them, nor answered any of their calls. (The miracle of caller ID...lol) Are they getting desperate to settle before they dump the acct? Do I have any bargaining position now? Doesnt do me alot of good if somebody else picks up the account and I have to fight them. I would just like to get it settled and move on.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

You do realize that 2 x $1000 = $2000 and 3 x $900 = $2700, right? Sounds to me like its just the normal left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing at a CA. Did they come from the same office? Same person?

If you haven't talked with them, and haven't responded to their letters, it could be that they're about to give up. If so, be sure to DV the people that write you about this next...once a debt has traded hands a couple times, its likely that they won't be able to validate...

Guess I wasnt clear. It was $1000 total, in 2 payments of $500 and $900 total in 3 payments of $300. This came from the same address, the first offer came about 5 weeks ago. The last offer, I received last week. About a 3 months ago I received an offer to settle for approx $1200 in one payment if I recall right.

Sherman is the 2nd CA to have this account.If I just let it ride and Sherman gives up and sells it, do they have to remove the tl on my credit reports? Or, can they leave it?

How is Sears reporting on your CRs? If its listed as Charge off / debt sold, then Sherman is a JDB. You may be able to negotiate a "Pay for delete" with them that will at least get their TL off. You need to be very careful in doing this...first, realize that if they did buy this debt, they paid pennies on the dollar for the right to hassle you and you don't owe them squat. So, unless they delete their TL, there just isn't any good reason for you to pay them...but, if they will delete, then make sure everything is in writing BEFORE you send money and make sure that they won't sell the balance due to someone else.