Received Collection notice today what is my first step

lyssakaye

I received a collection notice from a CA for Blockbuster. Back in January I rented movies thinking that they had the "NO Late Fee" but the chain I dealt with did not take that policy so I have 20.00 in late fees.

I just received a Collection notice from an CA. Should I go and pay the bill (as much as I hate to since they were advertising everywhere about No Late Fees) and then dispute the CA. The CA did inform me that I have 30 days to dispute the bill if it is not mine otherwise they will assume It is mine.

Thanks

Lyssa

Blockbuster is facing a class action suit over that 'no late fee' bull.

The fact is, if you don't bring the movie back within a certain time period, they don't charge you a late fee, they charge you the COST OF THE MOVIE !! Its far worse than any late fee. Its all garbage, they're trying like hell to compete with NetFlix and they simply CAN"T do it !

Just pay it, its not with the fuss. Then make sure that Blockbuster recalls the thing from the CA.

lyssakaye: Is the collection being reported on your credit reports? If not, then I would agree to immediately pay the $20 late fee, but get in writing that neither Blockbuster nor the CA will report it to the CRAs.

Since Blockbuster stores are franchises, some of them didn't subscribe to the "no late fee" policy. Unfortunately, that was in very tiny print in their ads. That was part of the reason for the class action. The other was that the part of being charged the sale price for the rental if returned after seven days past the due date was also in small print. However, I like the no-late-fee deal (and all of the stores I frequent subscribe to it) as it allows me to keep the movie for two weeks without incurring a late fee. I'm the type that likes to view the special features on the DVD as well as watching the movie a second time with director/actor commentary (if it was a good movie and worth my time, that is), so being able to keep it for two weeks works great for me. Also, I can lend it to my sister and still have it back in plenty of time. Even if you don't get it back within the two weeks and they do charge you the sale price (for most DVDs it's less than $15, often less than $10), as long as you return it within 30 days of the day the charged your credit card, they will give you a refund less a "re-stocking fee" of $2 - $3. That hasn't happened to me, but sure is a lot less than some of the late fees I used to pay, especially on two-day rentals. Actually, what I do now is the unlimited rental thing for $14.99 a month. Never any late fees on that. When you bring back one movie you get another. Can keep any movie as long as you'd like, but can't check out another until you do. Blockbuster has another program identical to NetFlix where they'll mail you your DVDs.