A word about cell phones and ch7

J Miller

What is Veriozon's ultimatum ? Reaff or lose it ??

They cannot FORCE reaffirmation agreements and the new legislation is NOT LAW YET ! By Wednesday it probably will be, but not today and not for any cases already filed like yours.

Did you include the contract as a debt ?? Creditors listed on the Unexpired leases and contracts schedule aren't notified of your bankruptcy, did they nail you on an AR of your credit report ?

I would argue that the cell phone company is not offering you "credit" and therefore is not subject to such non-sense. Mobile phone companies make you pay for your service in advance of providing it to you...and if you have a package deal that is all-inclusive, there is no possibility of racking up a charge that they would be giving you "credit" for anyways. Because of how they bill for services the mobile phone company ALWAYS owes YOU money if you are paying what they ask on time.

As far as any possibility of incurring a "debt," it would be their responsibility to shut off the service if you fail to pay your 30-days worth in advance. They can also request a modest security deposit which, in most States, cannot exceed 2 months worth of service.

**Edit**

As a follow-up let me just say that after talking with Verizon, it is all perfectly clear in the letter one recieves. Contact them and talk with their BK department. The letter is kind of like what steps are you going to take, here are some options.

It scared the crap out of me because I went to make my monthly payment online like I usually do and my account for payments was restricted. Well duh!! By law, it has to be if I just filed (hint, hint)

;-)

-J