Blockbuster Video reported me to CA!!!!

lapoolboy

I got a copy of my credit reports to begin the long process of repairing my credit and what do I see? Blockbuster freakin video has turned me over to a CA!!!! For $254!!! The date it shows this was reported is 4/03. I knew absolutely nothing of this. Blockbuster has not contacted me regarding this at all. The CA hasn't either to the best of my knowledge. I just find it on my CR. So, I called the CA and demanded DV. She told me it was for two DVDs that were rented and never returned. I knew nothing of this. Then it dawns on me that my ex-girlfriend at that time had her name listed on my account. So it became obvious that she had rented the movies and not returned them. So, what do I do? How can two movies justify $254? She told me she would return the file to Blockbuster as "not my debt" and told me to call back in 30 days for an update. Any advice???

Get that commitment from the CA in writing.

As for the account, well...it was your account. You woudl still be responsible for anything that happened when you allowed someone else to use it.

The $254 isn't acutally all the hard to understand once you know some things about the rental industry. They don't pay $20 for a DVD like a consumer does. Ever read one of those FBI warnings? It says you can't rent or lease the movie to any one else and that is for private in-home viewing only. Rental companies have to pay additional licensing fees in order to rent the disc for profit. A typical rental license is anywhere from $100 to $400 per disc.

Xanathos, I have to disagree with you on amount on fair market value. The reason being is a retail verson would be useless to a video rental place. I think it would be fair market value of a rental version of the DVD. Although if they sold excess inventory of those DVDs as "Previously Viewed" since the loss, then they would only be able to recover the value those excesses were sold for.

Yeah Meth, but if you lose a game/DVD/etc. they can only bill you the fair market value of the item--which would be about $15-$20 per item ($50-60 for a game).

Xanathos, actually Meth is right. Blockbuster pays way above what we rent for. I used to work for Blockbuster years ago and they have the right to charge your account for any rental not returned. The policy is if you don't turn the rental back within 60 days after the due date, then you will get charged the price Blockbuster paid for it.

This is the reason why they stopped that "no late fee " program right after they started it. They ran the add of "no late fees" and showed how excited everyone was in that commercial. Well there were stipulations to that, that they wrote is very fine print which resulted in Blockbuster hit with a few law suits.

The stipulation was if you didn't bring the movie back within 7 days, then they were going to charge your account a late fee. If it wasn't returned in 30 days, you were going to be charged the price they paid for the movie, and a stock fee. If you returned the movie, they would only credit you the price of the movie. Gotta read the fine print.

I'm sorry you have to go through this cause trust, it ain't fun. I used to have people curse me out all the time for this and there was nothing I could do about it. This is why when you open an account at Blockbuster, they require you to have a CC so incase there is a non-return on a movie, they can charge you for it. It sucks but that's just how it is. I do hope you can get out of it, if not you should try and see if your blockbuster store has an account for your ex there. If they do, see if they can apply the charges to her. However, if you do choose to do this, and she is not listed at that BB store, don't think that that BB store can tell you what store she is a member at cause they can't. BB is not on a network. They only have information for that one store.

Sorry this was kinda lenghthy. :cool:

Thanks guys and gals for the advice. I wouldn't think a BB would apply charges to my ex's account. That sounds illegal. She could then sue them on the same basis I have now. Bottom line is this - it's my fault I put her on my account in the first place. I realize it is MY account and my responsibility. I am just trying to get the CA that is after it to validate the debt, etc. If they can't then I can just get it deleted. Worst case, I negotiate on the price and then negotiate that I only pay if they delete the item. Sound good???