late mortgage question

eeyoreptz1

I noticed on my equifax report that a mortgage i had 5 years ago still shows as being open while the other 2 agencies shows closed. Does this affect my score at all being it is 5 years old? is it worth correcting? it also states it was a foreclosure under the additional information heading when it was a pre-foreclosure sale. is there much difference there? and finally, is there any way to get this item deleted early? thanks for any help.

I just called mortgage company which was bought out by another company but after about 30 min they found my record which said it was a foreclosure. i then called broker that sold the house and was assured it did not go to the foreclosure status. now, the question is to challenge the mortgage company or the credit bureaus. i would think mortgage place would just update my records with late payments but is it possible to get bureaus to delete due to erroneos information? any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Get a written statement from the broker that is was not a foreclosure.

Once you have that, challenge it to the CRA and include the proof. It will likely come back "verified." At that point you will have some leverage against both the CRA and the furnisher of the information.

With the CRA they are required to do their own independant investigation and consider all evidence presented to them. Since none of the CRAs actually do this (they just ask the furnisher if what is reported is correct) you will have them on an FCRA violation.

As for the furnisher, you would have cause on them for furnishing false information by verifying it is a foreclosure when it was not.