Recommended action to settle collection?

hypemnd

I have a collection account for $233.00 on my credit report that dates from 2001. The collector is Credit Systems International and the OC is Austin Energy. I don't mind paying the account, but I do want to make certain that the trade line is deleted from my credit files. What steps do I need to take to get this done?

Sorry no one has answered. Let me take a shot at it...

I assume Austin Energy is a utility...I'd call them up and play dumb. Say you found them on your credit report, and you're not sure what the charge is for. If they still have the records, say "oh gee, I thought that was all taken care of when we moved, I'll be glad to take care of it now, where do I send the money..." If they agree to accept your check, send it CMRRR along with a letter stating the account number, the amount, and that "during our phone conversation you agreed to mark this paid in full on my credit report...thank you very much...". Once you get the green card back and the canceled check, send a copy of the letter, green card, and check to the CA (stamp COPY all over everything) saying this account is paid in full, remove yourself from my CRs. Check your CRs in a month or so to make sure they comply.

If OC doesn't have the records, or don't agree to accept your check, or refer you to the CA, then use the DV process to make them prove they've got the right person, the right amount, the right account, and the right to collect in your state.