Prom note & private institution

workinninetofive

I'm really not up on student loans.

My ex-employer (state government) paid for my last year of education. They signed a prom note. I signed something similar. Basically if they don't pay, then I will. I recieved a promotion & transferred depts. They decided not to pay the bill. :evil:

This was 00'. The last payment was summer 00'. My last class was winter 00'. When would the SOL start? It is for $7500. A CA has been assigned to this.

My ex-employer (state government) paid for my last year of education. They signed a prom note. I signed something similar. Basically if they don't pay, then I will. I recieved a promotion & transferred depts. They decided not to pay the bill. :evil:

This was 00'. The last payment was summer 00'. My last class was winter 00'. When would the SOL start? It is for $7500. A CA has been assigned to this.

Can you give more details?? I dont see how a contract can be signed that gives them the option NOT to pay and get off the hook! That is not the purpose of a prom note!

What type of loan was this?? Or is it a tuition account?? For the most part there is no SOL on educational debts. This includes federal loans and loans made by the school plus tuition accounts.

They did sign a prom note. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy.. but yes, they had paid for a year prior to this. When I tranferred, they were p-d. I found out later, that they didn't pay the bill. It's not a loan.. it was a tuition account. They bill my work, my work pays. No SOL? Even if it's a private institution.. not funded by the govt.? ouch.

This sounds like a tuition account and not a student loan. Do you have a copy of the agreements?? Sounds like they filled out a fiscal responsibility form. Get a copy from the school.

Tuition accounts also have no SOL. A lot of private schools are deemed "non profit" thus they can keep collecting indefinately.

Thanks for your help. I will call them on Monday. I dvd the agency for the 2nd time.. all they sent me was a computer-generated print out. So, I fired back with give me a copy of a signed agreement. So, I'm waiting to hear back. I'm thinking though if they try to sue me, they have to sue them as well. Or atleast, that's what someone else thought. I think that makes sense. But, I will call them.

• 1 month later...

OK, the CA wrote me. They said that the college told them that no such contract exists (completely false, I know my employer signed a contract). The CA is telling me it's between my employer & I but the debt is ultimately mine. I have given them more than enough time to produce a contract. Do I tell them to buzz off at this point? They did pull an inquiry back in Oct.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is a tuition account, there is will be no contract or promissory note. Validation would be a student account statement. By attending the classes you agree to all charges.

Did you ever talk to the school to find out if they had a copy of 3rd party agreement?? Your employer paid in the past right?? And should have paid again...this might be something you might want to talk to your AG office about.