Doc Don, anyone HELP! Car Repo'ed last night

Ok, Look. I am NOT late on this car. I don't know WTF is going on. WOke up, car is gone. Call police say it's repoed. :shock::shock::shock: Cannot do crap til 9 am and bank opens where Im going to get print out of EVERY F*ck*n payment.

I am so confused and lit right now.

Im in Virginia, the car has like 4 payments left, through Americredit.

Who do I call, what the hell do I do here. This is UNREAL!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD>

GET A RECORDER AND RECORD EVERY CONVERSATION YOU HAVE WITH THE CREDITOR/POLICE.. ANYONE!!!!!

This could be critical to proving your case if things dont get straightened out.

Start getting all your cancelled checks, money order receipts etc together and be ready to speak with these people in a strong yet professional manner.

Tell them that they are liable for ALL state laws they violate as well as punitive damages and other things if they repo'd this car by mistake.

please let us know what is going on as the day progresses

Yes, move quickly before the bastards sell it at auction. You know, it could be a mistake that your car was repoed (I mean the informaiton that it was), maybe it was stolen. That's not much better, but I'd think of everything in this situation.

OK, heres whats up.

Went to bank and 9am. Got proof of payments made. Here's the kicker. We have both cars through Americredt. They took my march car payment and put it on the truck :shock: Copy of cancelled check specifically states it was for the car.

So come to find out apparantly I missed a car payment in April of 02. :shock: 8) I did not know that and NEVER recieved any calls or letters or anything about this. So were all human and screw up once in a awhile. She tells me that I've been paying for two years one month behind apparantly. WTF!

Ok, so my thinking is if you stupid"bad word" people had placed the payment on the right car to start with we wouldn't have this problem.

Somebody PLEASE tell me I can sue these people. So maybe I was one month behind but arent there certain laws that give a time frame as to when repo can occur. If they had put the payment on the right vehicle, I apparantly would have just continued paying one month behind since they never felt obliged to say "hey your late"

God somebody tell me a lawyer will listen to me.

Now I have to come up with 600 dollars to get my car back.

I would see if you have any way to make the last 4 payments now and clear it completely...either by taking out an unsecured personal loan or by having a family member spot you the money.

Third tier lenders do this crap all the time...hide a problem until you are just a few payments away from paying it off then repo the vehicle so they can sell it and make more than the sum of the remaining payments.

First you have evidence they applied a payment to the wrong account. that mistake that they made triggered the self-help repo. Which means they are liable for the repossession costs..it would not have happened save their mistake.

Get your car back, then talk to a lawyer about sueing them. You may be able to settle for the remainign payments.

So I am not going crazy.

They did this BS on the same day my DH has his Vasectemony. I got too much BS to deal with right now. Now I just find out my car will have to spend the night there because it's already 2pm and they close at 4. Been at the hospital all day.

I can get the money they want but Im NOT paying it off right now because I WILL call a lawyer.

I also want the Recovery fees and whatever else I can get out of this. Period.

If they didn't apply the payment to the correct account, it's their fault, not yours. They erroneously repo'd your vehicle. If anything, they may be owing you money.

BTW... if their payment mistake happened in April 02, it's 3 years, not 2 like the rep stated.

I would also file formal complaints against them with the FTC and both you and their state AG.

They waited 3 years and just "out of blue" decided to come get your vehicle? Something sounds crooked at best.

Thanks for your response Doc, I mentioned you because I seen a thread where you were talking detail and knowledge of Repo.

It was 03 when I missed the pymt I guess. Still 2 yrs later. Come on.

The simple fact is that had they applied the payment properly, this would not have happened. Late or not.

I will pay to get my car tomorrow BUT I am desperately trying to find someone to talk to me about this. Why won't lawyers talk to you. I've left about 6 messages with different people....just waiting for a return call.

But thanks so much everyone. I was a basket case all day, still am, but now a determined basket case.

Park - Sorry to hear about what happened to your car. I wish I could offer you some advice on clearing your matter up, but the only thing I can say is when you get your car back make sure that no personal items were stolen. These repo guys can be scum of the earth and won't think twice about stealing from you. Just double check the contents of your car!

Good luck with everything!

BTW - I LOVE your little hamster icon!!

Yes, it is. Of course, they'll just claim you did it before you mailed it in....

Go to your State Bar website and see if they have an attorney referral contact number. You're looking for a consumer protection attorney.

Many attorneys don't dabble in that practice because other cases are much more lucrative... $$$

Wowzers, you need a lawyer, like ASAP. These folks are going far, far beyond the law. I mean altering a check? You have to be kidding me. Correct me if I am wrong, but altering the check's number doesn't matter unless you initial it, right?

Either way, I'd be a walking tape recorder at this point. This case is almost too easy.

They misapply payments and then repo the vehicle? I wonder how many other times this has happened. Deceptive trade practices act?

Do you get monthly statements on the car before you send your payment?

Have they not included that you are one payment behind for three years and THEN they come get the car and show that you are???

Hmmm sounds a bit fishy to me

That is a great claim under the deceptive practoices right there.

I would call the attorney general office IMMEDIATELY and also call your Financial Divisions or Secretary of State and ask them about licensing for this place and check other complaints.

What state are you in??

I would be on this like hotcakes... dont let this go.

Im NOT going to let this go.

I havent' received a bill in ages. When I called and asked why I was getting bills they would claim to correct it and then I'd never see one.

I have been trying to call lawyers all over the place. No one ever answers their phone or everyone just puts me to a voice mail. Have left numerous messages with different lawyers.

Meanwhile, I am so hot because I have no choice but to pay up to get my car back, and fight to get my $$ back later.

You say Call the AG office. Why? What do I say?

The Attorney General of your state is there to do things like this on behalf of the consumer.

If you can get to a high up.. you might get immediate help. I was able to actually talk to a lead attorney in KY once when I was dealing with an issue there.

You call and tell them you have a serious situation and then explain it to them.

Tell them this is going to cost you several hundred dollars to correct their mistake.

Also start looking at calling BK type lawyers... ask for referrals to lawyers who handle consumer law.

IF you can afford to.. spend ALL DAY on the phone ((Other than what time you spend going to get the car))

You will eventually get your money back OR if you dont then you can always sue them in small claims court for your money back and damages from loss of work etc ((if it applies))

I find it hard to believe that they never said anything about this extra payment being owed until the car is damn near paid off

Keep us informed... if you are near KY... email me.

I find it hard to believe that they never said anything about this extra payment being owed until the car is damn near paid off

I do to. We had the why aint' I getting bills numerous times, AND why didn't they mention the late pay one of those many times I called.?/

There is too much BS around all of this.

I've already left a message with 6 different attorneys and I'll continue the quest today.

Thanks so much for you help. I feel better knowing that Im not blowing this out of proportion.

Oh no you aren't

I'd be breathing fire and ready to eat me someone.

I had a car repod and the repo company crashed into my other car... still havent resolved that one but I guarantee I wont be paying those bastards a dime...

So yeah.. good luck..keep calling attorneys.. one will call back